Information Selling old vinyls

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Selling old vinyls Reply with quote

Didn't think I ever would but need the cash & space to get rid of my old vinyls & wondered if anyone had any tips on getting rid of the lot

No real rare ones that I know of but obviously some better than others to sell but wondered, other than listing them individually on ebay, if there was a better way to approach it (Record Fairs, Vinyl shops, on-line dealers ?

Mostly albums but some singles including big selection of the CHS TT.. set (not all though)

Mostly Ska, Madness, Jam/Style Council, UB40 plus a bit of 90's
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:55 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try second-hand record shops, but if you sell them all as a job lot to any trader you will get a reduced price for them.

If you have any of the 2 tone paper labels your best bet is to sell them individually on eBay. The price some of these releases fetch is often well beyond reason. Frightening if you are wishing to purchase: laughable if you are selling.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Cheers for that quick advice. Will try to sift out the better ones to list individually on ebay

Do you mean paper sleeve with the Walt Jabasco & 2Tone logo ?
Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:54 am
Trojan
Too Hot

saltyvinegar wrote:
Cheers for that quick advice. Will try to sift out the better ones to list individually on ebay

Do you mean paper sleeve with the Walt Jabasco & 2Tone logo ?

The paper label as in:

As mentioned there have been occasions when buyers appear to have lost all sense of reality when buying these and end up parting with silly money for them.

PostPosted:
Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:49 pm
Harry
Too Hot

I think if you've got the time and patience then e-bay probably is best way of making money.
Notting Hill record and tape exchange offer small amounts of actual cash but they are generous if you exchange for vouchers that can only be used in their shop. I normally off load all my DVDs there and swap them for records in their bargain basement.
Also in North London there are 3 branches of Flash Back records who I've sometimes done ok out of.
Rat Records in Camberwell in South London have a website - if you e-mail them what you've got they e-mail back what they'd pay you for it.
Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:32 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Thx for the helpful replies

I have a few TT's with the paper label so looks like they may be the 1st to try & sell along with my UB44 hologram album

I know ebay can be time consuming to sell items but probably the best way to realise a bit of cash on this instance so cheers again for the advise
Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Derry Jammers
Special

Ebay is very time consuming but can be lucrative. The dealers will give you as little as possible. They need to make a healthy profit. You need to get a list together as there may be people here that may want to see what you have to sell. Id like to see. PM me a list please.
PostPosted:
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:04 pm
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Derry Jammers wrote:
Ebay is very time consuming but can be lucrative. The dealers will give you as little as possible. They need to make a healthy profit. You need to get a list together as there may be people here that may want to see what you have to sell. Id like to see. PM me a list please.

I'll put one together along with my wife's (more of a punk influence) & send it in but don't think anything particularly lucrative in my collection & all of a varied played condition
Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:42 am
sid-departure
Rudie
Rudie

I'd like to see a list too. I'm always looking for more, especially the punk stuff.

Send it over when you get a sec Smile
PostPosted:
Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:59 pm
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Sent PM but not sure how to upload attachments now I've put a list together of mine. Will take longer for the wife's as larger collection with punk/motown bias

A trader in Manchester cherry picked & offered £150 which was predictable so will list a few better items individually on ebay to see how the land lies
Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:53 pm
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Just started to trawl through the internet to see if any real value in my used vinyls & noticed this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Madness-The-Prince-very-rare-blue-label-2Tone-single-TT3-/291959822533?hash=item43fa2958c5:g:Tv4AAOSwcUBYGKEX

I have a blue label version of this but did not think it was any different to the silver label versions ?
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 am
Trojan
Too Hot

saltyvinegar wrote:
Just started to trawl through the internet to see if any real value in my used vinyls & noticed this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Madness-The-Prince-very-rare-blue-label-2Tone-single-TT3-/291959822533?hash=item43fa2958c5:g:Tv4AAOSwcUBYGKEX

I have a blue label version of this but did not think it was any different to the silver label versions ?

That £200 asking price is by someone in need of professional help, but according to Popike is has sold for anywhere from £20 to £260. The latter price was obviously paid by someone who should not have internet access without adult supervision.

Last edited by Trojan on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
PostPosted:
Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Two Tone info site talks about the three blue labels - Prince, On My Radio, and Ghost Town and says it was probably a mix up in the pressing plant.

Someone keeps putting The Prince with blue plastic label on ebay for £200 £250 but it does not seem to be moving - that said, it has sold a good few times for £100 - £150. On My Radio blue label tends to sell for £30 - £60. Ghost Town blue label rarely comes up but has sold for £50 before.

But I have seen a few comments on here before from more sensible people who have managed to pick them up for a £1 or so in charity shops rather than paying those prices!

If you had a silver label version of Mantovani, you could make your fortune...
PostPosted:
Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 pm
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

HarryJ185 wrote:
Two Tone info site talks about the three blue labels - Prince, On My Radio, and Ghost Town and says it was probably a mix up in the pressing plant.

Someone keeps putting The Prince with blue plastic label on ebay for £200 £250 but it does not seem to be moving - that said, it has sold a good few times for £100 - £150. On My Radio blue label tends to sell for £30 - £60. Ghost Town blue label rarely comes up but has sold for £50 before.

But I have seen a few comments on here before from more sensible people who have managed to pick them up for a £1 or so in charity shops rather than paying those prices!

If you had a silver label version of Mantovani, you could make your fortune...

Have 2 out of the 3 blue ones so may list them on ebay just to see if anyone is foolish enough to bite at £100+
Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Good luck! Hope you do get a decent price for them. Might be best to try a high buy it now (perhaps with best offer option) and see how they go. I have sometimes stuck decent records on at 99p and then got in a sweat when there was only 1 bid with 30 mins to go. Sometimes there is last minute bidding - but sometimes there is not! And don't forget the cost of eBay fees, paypal fees, postage, packing when you are deciding your starting prices.
PostPosted:
Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I have the Blue Ghost Town & On My Radio but I wouldn't pay anywhere near £100 for The Prince Smile
Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:02 am