Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Madness / Can't Touch Us Now (28/10/2016)

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: Madness / Can't Touch Us Now (28/10/2016) Reply with quote

BUY 2016 Smile

https://store.universalmusic.com/madness/?utm_campaign=MADNESSCantTouchUs03&utm_content=MADNESSCantTouchUs&utm_medium=Referral&utm_source=PressRelease
Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:27 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the deluxe version of the cd through the post yesterday. Nice to have all the extra tracks. Not sure about the game being necessary. I know its a gimmick, but a nice deluxe jewel case and booklet, surely would have done ? Would have kept costs down too.
Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:38 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

I bought the LP & CD waiting for the Special Edition to arrive, agree with you about the game not being necessary Smile
Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:42 pm
chemode
Too Hot

For what its worth here is my review of the album ( I have the special edition but haven't listened to the second disc)

The album is typically madness. Its like putting on a comfortable, well worn in pair of old shoes. Nice, comfy, nothing new. . . . .
The first 4 tracks, typically madness, Suggs voice and Lees sax alongside Mikes fairground / pub piano sound are instantly recognisable and let you know that your on familiar territory....After these four the album starts to become a bit self indulgent, the sound effects don't work, the pub piano and fairground ride sound become dreary..and therein lies the problem, there's nothing new here, in fact what's here is a bit stale. Now, to be clear, I AM a big Madness fan, yet despite the occasional nod to their ska sound of the early days there's a stale, too nostalgic sound and feel to the album.. ... it plods along, struggling to get your toes tapping to any kind of beat. There's nothing that would lift the spirit, get the pulse racing. Its an armchair album... if you want to dance you need to look elsewhere.....

What happened to the "Rockingest Rocksteady Beat"?
Where is that "Heavy, Heavy Monster Sound"?
What happened to "The Nuttiest Sound Around"?

The Nutty Boys have become the Nice and Safe Boys...... Cool
Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:19 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Harry
Too Hot

chemode wrote:
For what its worth here is my review of the album ( I have the special edition but haven't listened to the second disc)

The album is typically madness. Its like putting on a comfortable, well worn in pair of old shoes. Nice, comfy, nothing new. . . . .
The first 4 tracks, typically madness, Suggs voice and Lees sax alongside Mikes fairground / pub piano sound are instantly recognisable and let you know that your on familiar territory....After these four the album starts to become a bit self indulgent, the sound effects don't work, the pub piano and fairground ride sound become dreary..and therein lies the problem, there's nothing new here, in fact what's here is a bit stale. Now, to be clear, I AM a big Madness fan, yet despite the occasional nod to their ska sound of the early days there's a stale, too nostalgic sound and feel to the album.. ... it plods along, struggling to get your toes tapping to any kind of beat. There's nothing that would lift the spirit, get the pulse racing. Its an armchair album... if you want to dance you need to look elsewhere.....

What's the answer? Should they tour, try out new material and get tighter as a band before they go into a recording studio? Should they bring in a guest producer for a couple of new songs? Bring back Chas Smash? Stick a few cover versions in?
Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
chemode
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
chemode wrote:

What's the answer? Should they tour, try out new material and get tighter as a band before they go into a recording studio? Should they bring in a guest producer for a couple of new songs? Bring back Chas Smash? Stick a few cover versions in?

I sense a bit of sarcasm there!! I know they tour. I know they are a tight band. I DO think Chas' influence is missed.
However it does feel to me as though this album starts of well but goes down hill. GrandSlam kinda reaches dancability and energy, Mr Apples sounds like that Nutty Sound but the rest of the album seems to wallow in Music Hall / Pub nostalgia.... maybe that's the sound they want but many of those songs when played live might get a luke warm reception.....

I'm not saying its a dreadful album. Its not, I do like most of it and maybe the other songs will grow on me..... its just the same old same old...... Cool
Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:04 pm
Harry
Too Hot

I thought "Are The Children Happy?" from Cathal Smyth's 2014 solo album was ten out of ten - brilliant. I saw him perform it live and I was amazed how good it was.

I had a listen to Mr Apples and thought it was ok. The Herbert song had a couple of nice little interludes but was kind of irritating. Barson's fairground piano, Bedders on bass, and Suggs's voice are all still brilliant but there's something not quite right.

I still love Madness's greatest hits but I find it hard to get excited about them these days. I think Drip Fred Fred was the last great single they did which was more than 15 years ago. I also thought their version of "Taller Than You Are" on their covers album was quite fun.
Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

I listened to the new Madness album on Spotify and thought it was just plain dull. It’s like they are going through the motions. I liked Oui Oui (still a stupid album title), but this latest release is just seems very formulaic and well, boring, which is never a word you would associate with Madness.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:07 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

With the large number of televised concerts (their Management are doing a good job on their profile), I already knew Can't Touch Us Now, Mr Apples, Blackbird, Herbert, and Don't Leave The Past Behind. Then there was the free download of Blackbird so I already knew a third of the tracks on first listen.

However, it initially seemed disjointed to me as there was a Beatles flavour, a gospel flavour, and at times Suggs is the backing rather than lead vocalist. And the songs that Woody and his brother Nick wrote - like Good Times, and Another Version of Me - do not sound like typical Madness songs to me, although I think all three of their songs are great.

After a few more listens some of the other tracks like Don't Let Them Catch You Crying , Given The Opportunity and Soul Denying have really grown on me. And to my untrained ears, I now think there is quite a range of styles on the LP, I do not feel it is the same old same old. Yes, it is distinctive and you would know it was Madness - but then you would know Subculture was The Selecter, and Bounce was The Beat (both two great LPs)

The only two tracks I am not sure about now are Pam The Hawk and Whistle in the Dark.

Pam The Hawk sounds more like a demo to me with the music stripped back and Suggs talking rather than singing.
PostPosted:
Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 pm
chemode
Too Hot

So it not just my opinion then......

Interestingly the LTSO played "MUMBO JUMBO" at the album launch for "bite the bullet" in the 100 club and as a live song it was really good and I was surprised it wasn't on his album..... then it pops up on the Madness album!!! Shocked Shocked Cool
Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Suggs was interviewed for this morning's London Metro. I was pleased to read he's collaborating with Julian Temple on a film about his life.
He comes across well in the interview. He's asked about a new song on the album which is about Amy Whinehouse. Suggs says he walked past her once in Camden and she shouted "Oi Nutty Boy!"
Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:04 pm
ddub
Ska Face
Ska Face

I think madness have gone really bad,would love to hear so old style nutty sounds but doubt that will happen.
Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:39 pm
kennybacon
Special

who is it singing on some of the demo's? (not Suggs)

Sounds like he's singing with a blocked nose, bloody awful.
Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:33 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Kenny, Suggs just sings Pam The Hawk, Herbert and Last Rag and Bone Man, Mike sings You Are My Everything, Nick Woodgate sings Good Times and Another Version Of Me, and then Lee does the rest. Have not got round to listening to Disc 2 yet myself.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:06 pm
kennybacon
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
Kenny, Suggs just sings Pam The Hawk, Herbert and Last Rag and Bone Man, Mike sings You Are My Everything, Nick Woodgate sings Good Times and Another Version Of Me, and then Lee does the rest. Have not got round to listening to Disc 2 yet myself.

Thanks Harry, think it is Nick Woodgate, he must be Dan's brother who sang on the Magic Brothers album?
Unfortunately, singing isn't his forte

I don't rate the demo CD much, just padding for the deluxe set really, as is the game. Nice box though, as they say.
Surprised last rag & bone man didn't make the main CD.
Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 pm
saltyvinegar
Ska Face
Ska Face

Slightly off-topic but if anyone has a single spare ticket for Madness (Bridlington) I would gladly pay them as originally could not make it due to work but can now & sold out Sad
Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
pvrakking
Stereotype

Yesterday I went to the Madness concert in Tilburg. Finally after 35 years I saw them live.
To me the mix of traditional material and new material was very good. From their new album they played : Can't Touch Us Now, Herbert, Good Times, Black Bird, Mumbo Jumbo, You are my everything & Mr Apples.
PostPosted:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:55 am