Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information One Man's Madness

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: One Man's Madness Reply with quote

Interesting, a film by starring Lee Thompson, where it seems Lee plays all the characters:

Lee “Kix” Thompson is a most unlikely character.
Early career choices had him spend a year in a detention centre.
He still hasn’t found the receipt for his first saxophone.
Luckily he met two other unlikely characters: Mike Barso Barson and Chrissy Boy Foreman who shared his interests of graffiti, train hopping and music.

This hilarious and joyful film follows the journey of Lee from meeting Barso and Chrissy Boy, and later Suggs, Chas, Woody and Bedders, and them starting to make music together in what was to become one of Britain’s most iconic and successful bands, Madness.

Following the path of Lee’s life through his lyrics in such classes as “The Prince”, “Embarrassment”, “House of Fun”, “Lovestruck” and “NW5”, the band, friends, family and musicologists discuss his work, but strangely they all look a little like Lee…

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/lee-thompson-one-mans-madness

I considered buying the signed poster, thought £32 was a little steep and would still need to buy the dvd, but was going to order anyway - until I saw another £6.90 was to be added for P&P . Decided that was too much, would happily pay that if signed by the whole band but not one member.
Thought the signed expanded DVD was overpriced too at £30 plus P&P.
Have decided I will wait until it is released and just settle for an unsigned copy at hopefully a more reasonable dvd price
Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the trailers for the film and have been thinking of supporting it (despite the horror of other pledge campaigns).

But the private screenings only really suit those in or around London.

And the script (at £75) and collectors edition dvd (£100) are rather pricey.

Still thinking about the £30 version which has P&P of £3.80 - a bit more reasonable than that £6.90 to send the poster!
PostPosted:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm
kennybacon
Special

I ordered a larger signed poster from a band last month (The Spitfires), and the cost of the poster was £10 and signed by all the band, obviously a member of Madness can demand a higher price than a band still trying to make a name for itself, but the postage for The Spitfires poster was £2.90, I cannot see any justification for the inflated postage charge for this poster.

I recently ducked out of buying a signed poster for The Rifles because of the same £6.90 postage charge and settled for a signed CD instead- this was also through Pledge music, and there were a few discontented fans voicing their opinions over the postage charges in general (I think delivery for a vinyl LP was about £8.00).

When Cathal Smyth (AKA Chas) released his solo CD a couple of years ago, I think I picked up a signed copy for £12 including postage, I also got a large signed tour poster from Sugg's one man tour a few years back (3 or 4 years ago) for £22 including postage - so I do think Lee is asking a bit too much for this merchandise.

I like to support artists I like whenever I can, but I think the price point here is beyond reasonable. Like I say, assuming the DVD goes on general release, I will make a purchase then.

Do you not fancy starring in the film Harry? Just search down the back of the sofa for that £3000 (postage free I assume) Very Happy
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:53 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Kenny

Your post made me laugh out loud. Think I will forego the personal appearance!

Have to agree with you on the Spitfires - Madness autographs may be worth more but there is no justification on a huge price hike in postage. Should be a standard charge for each different type of item irrespective of who it is.
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: One Man's Madness Reply with quote

kennybacon wrote:

This hilarious and joyful film follows the journey of Lee from meeting Barso and Chrissy Boy, and later Suggs, Chas, Woody and Bedders, and them starting to make music together in what was to become one of Britain’s most iconic and successful bands, Madness.

Hasn't this been done already with 'Take It Or Leave It'?

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 pm