Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Reformation

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
kennybacon
Special

Post subject: Reformation Reply with quote

Just been listening to a podcast of Mike Parry and Simon Jordan (former Crystal Palace owner) on talksport in the last week.
Simon Jordan states he was responsible for The Specials reforming after getting the band to discuss a re union and the first gig was for his 40th birthday party (with a substantial cash incentive).

Didn't know that.
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:48 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Fester
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep he's a pal of Terry from the footy so they say.

Looks can be deceptive but he is a huge Specials Fan. Laughing
PostPosted:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm
Harry
Too Hot

http://thequietus.com/articles/00862-jerry-dammers-slams-specials-reunion
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 pm
Psycho
Ska Face
Ska Face

Harry wrote:
http://thequietus.com/articles/00862-jerry-dammers-slams-specials-reunion

A couple of interesting points in that article. 1) Horace and Lynval both managed by Terry's manager and 2) the quote that Jerry thinks the real test will come if or when another album is ever made. Well that obviously never materialized.

So, was it all worth it? Was the reformation a success, should it have happened with Jerry or not happened at all? I, like many, really enjoyed probably from 2009 up to Ally Pally, after which it all sadly started to fall apart. Yes I would have preferred Jerry to have been a part of it but would it have had the same energy?? Maybe more so. The chance to have had some new recordings would have been great and a missed opportunity but then again would they even have made it to 2012? Unlikely. We had what we had and I enjoyed it but it could have been so much more for us and them. We'll never know.
PostPosted:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

It was never really The Specials without Jerry. He was the driving force behind 2 tone. The one person who needed to be in the band. As much as Terry may have fronted the group, l really think he has been the problem from day one. People say what a nice bloke he is, but lm not so sure when it comes to band stuff. Think he has always been the one to throw his toys out of the pram, back in the day, and with the reformation. Good fronting the group, but not a person l have ever particularly liked.
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Alarm bells should have been ringing when it became clear that Jerry was not going to be involved. He clearly stated that he wanted the band to carry on where they had left off. As for the rest of the band….well it’s clear to see now they really didn’t have a plan, apart from milking the band’s name and two albums worth of material to death. Look what it’s become now: a mockery to the name ‘The Specials’. A cash cow that should have been put out of its misery years ago.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 pm
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

Trojan wrote:
Alarm bells should have been ringing when it became clear that Jerry was not going to be involved.

It was destined to turn out badly without Jerry. Over half the band were involved in the 90s reformation and 'Today's Specials' which was an embarrassment to the name of The Specials so there was no way those particular members could be trusted. Terry meanwhile was often very negative when talking about the band in interviews down the years so you had to question his real reason for being involved. I really wish they never reformed. I feel generally there's a time and a place for bands and the late 70s/early 80s was the time for The Specials.
PostPosted:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 am
Trojan
Too Hot

I believe some bands are just destined for a short life span. ‘The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long’ and all that. This was most certainly true of The Specials.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 am
Imani
Too Hot

(Sorry I deleted my previous posts, btw. This one will stay!)

I agree with all the comments posted.

In all but name, I'm afraid it's become like those 80s revival packages, and The Specials ought to be much more meaningful than that.

I accept their choice but as a fan I'm not sure they realised that some of us might have had an interest in more than just a nostalgic knees-up.

2 tone was about reflecting the times. It may have drawn upon retro music and style, but just as The Jam did, it was also a reflection of the moment.

If writing is a problem, have they considered enlisting people to write songs for them?

It's nice to revisit the past but how long can the buzz of nostalgia last?
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:48 am