Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information So I read the article about The Selecter in Mojo Magazine...

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Post subject: So I read the article about The Selecter in Mojo Magazine... Reply with quote

Umm...is it just me or does it seem like Pauline Black has pretty much fucked over Neol Davies? So she decided to tour without him even though he was ill and then later kicked him out of the band (a band he founded) in the '90s, because apparently Pauline Black is all that matters as far as The Selecter goes, never mind the guy who wrote nearly every great Selecter song.

And then for her to say she "offered him a place in the new lineup" is pretty rich considering that, if anything, The Selecter should either be Neol's baby or, at best both Neol's and Pauline's baby. Instead, she's written him out of the band, while releasing something like 14 albums* that clutter up the band's discography like The Happy Album, Pucker, Cruel Brittania, Made in Britain, String Theory, Subculture and Daylight etc. She then all but forgets these albums ever exist about 10 minutes after release to go back to concentrate on doing Neol's songs live.

I'm just saying this all, cuz I never knew that Pauline's been screwing over Neol since the '90s. I figured that HE was the one who quit in the '90s and that she soldiered on without him. Little did I know was that maybe she wanted more money (?), attention (?), whatever. I can't imagine what it is, cuz it's not like this group can be bringing in that much money? Does she just prefer to be a big fish in a small pond? Or does she hate Neol that much? Cuz from reading the article Neol has nearly always wanted to be part of the group, but he's just been squeezed out by Pauline.

*Okay, maybe not 14 albums, but she's getting there. Point is, when one looks up The Selecter on Amazon, they are inundated with these inferior albums, not to mention compilations including Pauline solo material and remixes and enough live albums featuring the same old songs that somebody like the Stones and the Who might raise an eyebrow.
PostPosted:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never really been a fan of Pauline Black, she is very loud and over opinionated on most subjects. She always comes across as a very bossy person. Who, if she doesnt gets her way could be very awkward.
The first two Selecter albums were/are great. Ive got most of the others you mention, but certainly Noel was the driving force behind the good stuff they did.
Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I haven't read the article but there's an interview Pauline did with Garry Bushell five years ago which deals with this - have a listen from 42.46 to about 47.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YBgssq-w0
Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Imani wrote:
I haven't read the article but there's an interview Pauline did with Garry Bushell five years ago which deals with this - have a listen from 42.46 to about 47.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YBgssq-w0

Hmm, well this interview certainly put a sunnier view on the whole thing. And though my initial post with scathing, I'm sure there are things we don't know. However, it sure does still seem like something fishy went down between Pauline and Neol. Likely more about power and control (and possibly money). Just like we've seen recently with The Specials and Jerry and even The Beach Boys with Brian Wilson.
PostPosted:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 pm