Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information New Book - Trouble Songs

Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2320
Location: Area 3

Post subject: New Book - Trouble Songs Reply with quote

Former NME Editor Stuart Bailie, has just published a book about music and conflict in Northern Ireland called Trouble Songs. Just about anyone of note who ever released a song about the conflict is included. The Fun Boys and Madness are both included. U2 get an entire chapter, but don't let that put you off. The book also confirms rumours about the cover of Dexy's Searching For the Young Soul Rebels, which will chill you to the bone.

[/i]
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:06 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Fester
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 1743
Location: Dublin

Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the recommendation Trojan, I will be checking this out.

Was up in Belfast recently and the buzz in the city is unbelievable. It's a fantastic place now.

Visiting in the 80's and 90's was a bit different, afraid to open my mouth in case of repercussions for a Dublin accent.

It's great that my kids here in Dublin and their counterparts in Northern Ireland have to ask "What are the Troubles".
Very Happy
PostPosted:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2320
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

Fester wrote:
Cheers for the recommendation Trojan, I will be checking this out.

Was up in Belfast recently and the buzz in the city is unbelievable. It's a fantastic place now.

Visiting in the 80's and 90's was a bit different, afraid to open my mouth in case of repercussions for a Dublin accent.

It's great that my kids here in Dublin and their counterparts in Northern Ireland have to ask "What are the Troubles".
Very Happy


I'm half way through it and can't recommend it enough.

I know what you mean by others seeing it as history. I work with people in their late 20's and they just stand their open mouth when I tell them about seeing bombs going off and being stopped and searched at military check points.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 1613
Location: Bradford

Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one I'll be checking out.
_________________
Piano music page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 1613
Location: Bradford

Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of books, Rip It Up & Start Again: Post-Punk 1978 to 1984 looks like it has quite a lot on 2 Tone, just saw a snippet of it online.
_________________
Piano music page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2320
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

Imani wrote:
Speaking of books, Rip It Up & Start Again: Post-Punk 1978 to 1984 looks like it has quite a lot on 2 Tone, just saw a snippet of it online.


I have that book. It's nothing to get too excited about. The 2 Tone section is just over 20 pages long. There is nothing in it that hasn't been told before. Same goes for the rest of the book.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:48 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 1613
Location: Bradford

Post subject: Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:
Speaking of books, Rip It Up & Start Again: Post-Punk 1978 to 1984 looks like it has quite a lot on 2 Tone, just saw a snippet of it online.


I have that book. It's nothing to get too excited about. The 2 Tone section is just over 20 pages long. There is nothing in it that hasn't been told before. Same goes for the rest of the book.


OK, cheers for the heads-up. The section I read on More Specials seemed quite detailed.
_________________
Piano music page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:29 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT
Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music  

Jump to:  
Key
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Community powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: Theme & Graphics by Daz