Information Bad Manners Box set

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » Upcoming Events   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Bad Manners Box set Reply with quote

A new Bad Manners box set is due end of August. 5 CD set, Ska n B, Loony Tunes, Gosh its, Forging ahead and Mental notes. All with bonus tracks. Only thing is, if you have the reissues from a few years back, most of the bonus tracks are the same, expect on Gosh its, where you get 2 extra tracks.
Mental notes is the most interesting, as its hard to find anyway,on CD and there are 10 bonus tracks on it, some very hard to find mixes that were only done for the foreign market.
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:57 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
chemode
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: Bad Manners Box set Reply with quote

bluearmy78 wrote:
A new Bad Manners box set is due end of August. 5 CD set, Ska n B, Loony Tunes, Gosh its, Forging ahead and Mental notes. All with bonus tracks. Only thing is, if you have the reissues from a few years back, most of the bonus tracks are the same, expect on Gosh its, where you get 2 extra tracks.
Mental notes is the most interesting, as its hard to find anyway,on CD and there are 10 bonus tracks on it, some very hard to find mixes that were only done for the foreign market.

That's great news.... would be good if it had a dvd or some video clips etc too Cool Cool
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:35 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

More reissues of reissues?

Count me out.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:45 pm
kennybacon
Special

Ordered, I haven't got Mental Notes so ordered pretty much just to get that.
I bought the deluxe editions a few years ago, so the other CDs don't hold anything I haven't already got with the exception of Yakety Yak.
Would of preferred for Mental Notes to be available on its own, but £23 certainly isn't bad for a box set

Cheers for the heads up bluearmy Very Happy
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Mental Notes is a piss poor album. No wonder the record company saw it as a tax write off. The band seemed to be attempting some sort of Euro pop sound. What the Papers Say has to be the worst ever Bad Manners single.

PostPosted:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:08 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

I agree Mental Notes is a poor album, but l have the CD , which did come with bonus tracks. But like another poster says, lm getting the box set mainly for that, as this time it has a lot of extra stuff on it thats not freely available.
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 am
Trojan
Too Hot

I noticed Cherry Red are releasing quite a few box sets. I suppose it's the latest way of floging back catalogue.

PostPosted:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:02 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Cherry Red tend to do a lot of reissues and box sets. Some are really worth getting hold of, others not so much. I suppose its a way of keeping the artist out there so to speak. A lot of those artists, like Bad Manners just get lost otherwise in todays market.
Its also nice to get physical copies on CD,instead of this new vogue for downloads. You cant beat a vinyl LP, and a CD with a lot of additional tracks is great. I think all this is lost on the youth of today, which is a real shame. I cant be doing with downloads, l love a physical copy, something to actually hold in your hands for the money you are spending(or not spending) on finding it on the net.
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:22 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Got the box set today. Its a nice little set if you want all the albums at an affordable price. The extra 10 tracks on Mental Notes were the reason l got the set, as the extra tracks are the same as the previous releases on the other albums, except on Gosh its.....
Good price, and nice to see them in one set.
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:38 pm
parkedcars
Ska Face
Ska Face

ne-ne-na-na-na-na-nu-no thank you

I'm here all week Laughing
PostPosted:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:05 am
kennybacon
Special

Got mine today and noticed a few things...

The 7" USA remix of 'That'll Do Nicely' on Mental Notes is the same version as track 20 on Forging Ahead.
Pleased that the Elizabethan Reggae version on Gosh Its, isn't the same as the version on Rare & Fatty, which I thought it would of been.
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pm
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Well spotted. I hadnt noticed the USA remix was the same on both cds.
l had noticed that Elizabethan reggae was different from Rare and fatty though.
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:15 am
kennybacon
Special

Having just played Mental Notes for the first time ever, I am going to draw my 'severe loss of quality in albums released' mark after Forging Ahead.

Still I suppose I have gained a handful of new versions of other tracks I didn't own previously - not short of versions of My Girl Lollipop for sure Confused - but hardly worth the price paid for the box set in order to get them.

I would still consider it a decent box set for someone who hasn't already got the first 4 albums and the bonus tracks that come with them
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:41 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
Having just played Mental Notes for the first time ever, I am going to draw my 'severe loss of quality in albums released' mark after Forging Ahead.

Still I suppose I have gained a handful of new versions of other tracks I didn't own previously - not short of versions of My Girl Lollipop for sure Confused - but hardly worth the price paid for the box set in order to get them.

I would still consider it a decent box set for someone who hasn't already got the first 4 albums and the bonus tracks that come with them

To sum up: Mental Notes is a load of arse.

Box sets of this sort are are only worth purchasing if you have next to no material by the band in question. Other than that they are just another record company excuse to flog back catalogue. Speaking of which we must be due another release of the first two Specials albums any time soon.

PostPosted:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 pm