Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information New album.......hmmm?

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

More Specials was more musically challenging than the first album. Even so I'd be surprised if they did a whole album of new material in the same vein as their debut. On one hand you could say they've done it already - how about giving us something else?

Also, 'Specials' fed off the energy and aggression of punk, and those times in general were aggressive and angry. It's not quite the same today in Britain, neither musically nor culturally - and it'd be hard to imagine them as older people expressing things with the same outlook & raw anger of youth.

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
seanjamdown
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
seanjamdown wrote:
I can't wait to hear the new album!

They say the best things come to those who wait and it's been a long time since Terry put out a record.

I imagine the new album will sound a lot more like a Pama International project crossed with Terry's Vegas album than it will sound like the debut Specials album or More Specials because no one can replace Nev/Rod/Jerry/Rico etc.

But like, Sugarman I loved 'Waiting' and 'Virgins & Philistines'. I know Terry has had his health problems but he's had over three decades to come up with some good lyrics so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Morning Harry,

I don't think anyone would be happy if it sounded anything like a Pama International project Smile

Sidetracking a bit but I remember hearing Missing You by Colourfied on Saturday morning telly and going down to the record shop to get the 12". Always liked that song.

I'm looking forward to it... whilst I agree you can't replace anyone, there's no need to. Horace, Lynval and Terry were/are so vital to The Specials sound and bring their unique qualities to the band, it's history, it's albums and the next album. Can't wait to hear what they come up with.

I was just as eager to hear two members of The Beat's new music... Fine Young Cannibals went onto be one of my favourite bands. I ended up prefering their music to The Beats.

Hurry up February!
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 am
bombscare79
Special

" those times in general were aggressive and angry. It's not quite the same today in Britain, neither musically nor culturally" Give it 6 months and see what shite we face when this Tory govt drop us off a cliff and put a hard border in Ireland too. They are not preparing the military/police to deal with civil unrest for a training exercise.
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 am
Imani
Too Hot

bombscare79 wrote:
" those times in general were aggressive and angry. It's not quite the same today in Britain, neither musically nor culturally" Give it 6 months and see what shite we face when this Tory govt drop us off a cliff and put a hard border in Ireland too. They are not preparing the military/police to deal with civil unrest for a training exercise.

I don't know a great deal about the situation in Ireland, except to say I hope your prediction doesn't come true.

Keeping this in context with the thread: The whole political stance of The Specials was to counter groups like the NF, which were increasing in support leading up to the '79 election. Today we have individuals such as Tommy Robinson popping up and there's nothing like the same groundswell of support, nor media indifference for that matter. He doesn't pose the same threat. That's a major change from how it was in the 70s.

Last edited by Imani on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 am
Trojan
Too Hot

bombscare79 wrote:

Well said bombscare. Permanent British state/military installations along the border at south Armagh and east Tyrone. What could possibly go wrong? Shocked Give Boris and Jacob Ress Mogg a few shifts on those border posts and see if it focuses their minds.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 am
bombscare79
Special

Imani wrote:
bombscare79 wrote:

I don't know a great deal about the situation in Ireland, except to say I hope your prediction doesn't come true.

Keeping this in context with the thread: The whole political stance of The Specials was to counter groups like the NF, which were increasing in support leading up to the '79 election. Today we have individuals such as Tommy Robinson popping up and there's nothing like the same groundswell of support, nor media indifference for that matter. He doesn't pose the same threat. That's a major change from how it was in the 70s.
I have to disagree im afraid. We live in a digital world where the hatred is online and not on the streets. Go to social media watch people preaching hate worse that the NF and then look at the support/followers they have. Go onto Twitter - i wont name names but some of them have nearly a million followers. Brexit has really divided people - hard line leave camp dont care about ANY consequences - automatically dismiss any remote suggestion of concern as project fear without providing any facts, even from well respected experts. One fact - A hard brexit and this country grinds to a halt- STOPS completely. Anyone who doesnt believe that should read what it means to trade under WTO rules as a 3rd country
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:02 am
Trojan
Too Hot

With perhaps the expectation of the most hard-line Brexit supporters, I doubt that anyone who voted Leave voted for this current mess. Teresa May is searching for a deal which will keep her in power and not one which is for the benefit of the population.

An interesting footnote is that hard-line Brexit supporter Jacob Ress Mogg is part owner in the company called Somerset Capital Management which recently opened an office in Dublin stating that Brexit was a risk to the company because of the considerably uncertainty leaving the EU could bring.

I wonder how any new album will capture all of this??? Smile

PostPosted:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 pm
bombscare79
Special

The same man who the media suggest woud be subject to tax evasion investigation under new EU rules which come into play next year and has stated it could take 50 years to reap"the benefits of brexit". Hard line leavers want to stop immigration at any cost and stick their head in the sand when the complexities are presented to them - Getting rid of those who look and sound foreign is their utopia ignorant of the facts that more immigration is from outside the EU and the vast contribution immigration has made to their country.
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:43 pm
chemode
Too Hot

I hear the Specials album is due out around February 1 2019... Cool
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Imani
Too Hot

'We live in a digital world where the hatred is online and not on the streets. Go to social media watch people preaching hate worse that the NF and then look at the support/followers they have. Go onto Twitter - i wont name names but some of them have nearly a million followers.'

OK, we live in an increasingly online world which influences a lot of how we think. But bear in mind that the people expressing those views are doing it anonymously as keyboard warriors. They know they can no longer do the same on the streets nor in other areas of the 'real world', as they used to do with impunity.

When did we last hear stories about gigs being wrecked and marred due to sieg-heiling and violence in the audience, as it was back when The Specials began? I believe this isn't just down to a change in laws but also a change in attitudes. Yes, it still does happen on the street off the radar but mainly it's not as bad.

To bring this back to the thread topic, it will be interesting to see how and if The Specials address some of these issues being discussed. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am
Imani
Too Hot

chemode wrote:

Odd that there's been no official announcement.

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
chemode wrote:

Since they don't own the copyright to the name The Specials I think there could be a lot of stuff going on in the background that needs to be addressed before any offical announcement can be made.

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am
Harry
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:
chemode wrote:

Since they don't own the copyright to the name The Specials I think there could be a lot of stuff going on in the background that needs to be addressed before any offical announcement can be made.

I'm not sure. If you tour under the name "The Specials" and you give out live CDs to Sunday Times readers and bring out t-shirts and DVDs you could probably get away with putting out an album featuring covers of All The Time in The World, Redemption Song and some new tracks.

I don't think think Terry and Horace are very political these days. Lynval did some good work with organisations giving instruments to prisoners, he's also talked about human rights on Facebook, and was involved in persuading young people not to carry knives etc. I would guess any political songs would come from him. Madness did My Girl Part 2. I could imagine Terry writing a sequel to Friday Night Saturday Morning
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:13 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Harry wrote:

I'm not sure. If you tour under the name "The Specials" and you give out live CDs to Sunday Times readers and bring out t-shirts and DVDs you could probably get away with putting out an album featuring covers of All The Time in The World, Redemption Song and some new tracks.

That will all boil down to the current copyright holder of the name. And considering some of the crap that has been released under the name 'The Specials' in the past I wouldn't blame him for being overly protective of the name.

My understanding was that some agreement was reached where by they could tour under the name 'The Specials'. Releasing new material maybe a whole new ball game.

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 am
kennybacon
Special

There is a simple way of getting round any possible copyright issue on the band name, take Dave Wakelings album, very clear on the front and top of the album cover is the name 'The Beat' and discretely hidden in the artwork is 'Featuring Dave Wakeling'. Ranking Rogers album was billed as 'The Beat' with 'FT Ranking Roger' in a smaller font underneath.
Neither Wakeling or Roger can then be guilty of using the name 'The Beat' without due consent.
As long as they add something to the artist name i.e 'The Specials featuring Terry Hall' I think they have covered themselves.

I wonder if Wakelings album was 'The English Beat Featuring Dave Wakeling' for it's release in America, as they were always The English Beat in the states originally due to another band in America already being called the beat?

Last edited by kennybacon on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:15 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:
chemode wrote:

I don't think think Terry and Horace are very political these days. Lynval did some good work with organisations giving instruments to prisoners, he's also talked about human rights on Facebook, and was involved in persuading young people not to carry knives etc. I would guess any political songs would come from him. Madness did My Girl Part 2. I could imagine Terry writing a sequel to Friday Night Saturday Morning

'Sunday Lunch, Monday Hangover'?

PostPosted:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:09 pm
Harry
Too Hot

Terry doesn't drink anymore so he wouldn't get hangovers.
Apparently when he's not touring he relaxes by making paintings of Michael Jackson.
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 pm
Imani
Too Hot

kennybacon wrote:
There is a simple way of getting round any possible copyright issue on the band name, take Dave Wakelings album, very clear on the front and top of the album cover is the name 'The Beat' and discretely hidden in the artwork is 'Featuring Dave Wakeling'. Ranking Rogers album was billed as 'The Beat' with 'FT Ranking Roger' in a smaller font underneath.
Neither Wakeling or Roger can then be guilty of using the name 'The Beat' without due consent.
As long as they add something to the artist name i.e 'The Specials featuring Terry Hall' I think they have covered themselves.

I wonder if Wakelings album was 'The English Beat Featuring Dave Wakeling' for it's release in America, as they were always The English Beat in the states originally due to another band in America already being called the beat?

I think The Beat situation is different in that they've both actually agreed to have the two line-ups.

Whether there is legal wrangling over the use of the name I don't know but if not, given what's happened to UB40 ('Feud For Thought') , it needs to be sorted out properly.

PostPosted:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 am