Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Encore - the new LP due in February

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: Encore - the new LP due in February Reply with quote

HarryJ185 wrote:
Tracklisting is:

Side One
Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys
B.L.M.
Vote For Me
The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum
Breaking Point
Side Two
Blam Blam Fever
The Ten Commandments
Embarrassed By You
The Life And Times Of A Man Called Depression
We Sell Hope

I wonder where the idea to do a modern take on The Valentines - Guns Fever came from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdw7GiSMQcQ

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a well written review of the new album in Vive Le Rock in which the writer gave it 8 out of 10. And, Classic Pop magazine went even further and gave the new album 5 out of 5!
Years ago I had a conversation with Horace about reviews and comments people make about the band and he said it never bothered him and quoted the line, "Opinions are like bottoms, we've all got one"
That said I recon they'll be chuffed Encore has been well received in the press
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:22 pm
kennybacon
Special

Harry wrote:
I just read a well written review of the new album in Vive Le Rock in which the writer gave it 8 out of 10. And, Classic Pop magazine went even further and gave the new album 5 out of 5!
Years ago I had a conversation with Horace about reviews and comments people make about the band and he said it never bothered him and quoted the line, "Opinions are like bottoms, we've all got one"
That said I recon they'll be chuffed Encore has been well received in the press

Was the album advertised in those magazines Harry? I have noticed previously that albums that tend to get good reviews have often placed an advertisement for the album in the mag.
Not saying these reviews are in any way biased, as I don't know if the album has been advertised, but it is something I have noticed in the past.

I think you get a honest review if a band hasn't advertised, a more favourable review if they have. A band is unlikely to advertise unless they are guaranteed a favourable review

And Horace is correct, like the saying 'one mans meat is another mans poison' everyone's opinion is different
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:41 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Re: Encore - the new LP due in February Reply with quote

Trojan wrote:
HarryJ185 wrote:
Tracklisting is:

Side One
Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys
B.L.M.
Vote For Me
The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum
Breaking Point
Side Two
Blam Blam Fever
The Ten Commandments
Embarrassed By You
The Life And Times Of A Man Called Depression
We Sell Hope

I wonder where the idea to do a modern take on The Valentines - Guns Fever came from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdw7GiSMQcQ

Those keyboards sound really Madnessy, don't they? I wonder if that was intentional?

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:41 pm
Imani
Too Hot

This is a far better version. I haven't listened to much of the 90s Specials albums but this is well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpXpPPRW-RY

PostPosted:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:19 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

I quick flick through Encore this morning on Spotify has left me baffled how this album is getting 5 stars reviews. MOJO were being more that generous with their 3 star offering. It sounds more like a group of filler tracks from a Terry Hall or Fun Boy 3 album. Vote for Me and The 10 Commandments are by far the standout tracks, which doesn't set the bar very high I know. The version of The Lunatics is about as half-arsed as it gets. How the fuck do you get it so wrong covering of your own song? WLM is an interesting enough track but I'm not sure how it will lend itself to repeated listening. One redeeming feature of the version of Bam Bam /Guns Fever is updated lyrics. The more songs you listen to on this album the more apparent it comes that Neville's vocals were a MAJOR component of The Specials, never more so than on Bam Bam.

If the band are brave enough to play the majority of this album on the up and comming tour there will be a few lead ballons not so concerned about the effects of gravity.

PostPosted:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:00 am
bluearmy78
Ska Face
Ska Face

Just had the cd turn up in my post. Will give it a listen later. Again, why do they have to look so scruffy ? its not how The Specials should be portrayed. The sharp look of the band was always just as important as the music. I know times have changed, but suits never go out of fashion. Terry looks like he has been sleeping rough in all the publicity shots and the shots in the cd booklet.
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:25 am
Imani
Too Hot

I don't know why they didn't put out We Sell Hope - this is wayyyy stronger than Vote For Me and Ten Commandments. It also sounds the most up-to-date, albeit with an undertone of Portishead about it. Horace is well on form on this track.

PostPosted:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:28 pm
wally
Ska Face
Ska Face

Had a listen on Spotify and I have to say that it's depressingly not as bad as I hoped it would be....

Gutted.
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
kennybacon
Special

I have had a few listens now, and I think you have to ignore any preconceived ideas you may have of how The Specials should sound and judge the album on its merits.
I have to say I like it, its different, slow paced but every track has a message which is clearly delivered (not much trying to figure out what is the hidden meaning in the lyrics) the arrangements are very good - I was a little alarmed by the funk sound on the first couple of tracks to begin with - but it works well.
I don't even think it lacks having Nev's vocals much on this album as they clearly are missed on the live album, mainly I think because Encore is not an up tempo album.

I think more could of been done with The Lunatics, but I am not left disappointed at all with this album (except with the choice of attire in the photo's, definitely should be dressed smartly).

If you're expecting the sound of the band from back in the day - you will be disappointed (although there is the odd trombone solo and haunting melody) there is no Concrete Jungle or Too Much Too Young, if you accept this is not The Specials from back in the day, you might just enjoy yourself.
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:45 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

I could write book about my day and The Specials new album but Im to drunk at the moment, so all I can say is it's brilliant. I listened to the 6 music live gig first and then the LP but F""" me what an album 10/10 Smile I'ts great being Pissed on Friday night and Saturday Morning Smile

10 commandments fits in nicely on the album as well Smile
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:55 am
Harry
Too Hot

I've seen a clip from last night's 100 Club show of the band doing Gun Fever that sounded great. And a tiny clip of Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys that was also impressive - it sounded a lot like Talking Heads.
Someone took a photo of the set list - the band played 18 tracks (11 classics, and 7 from the new album).
The 100 Club is my favourite venue so I would have loved to have gone.
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 am
Trojan
Too Hot

The album sounds way too synthetic. On Breaking Point Terry has obviously taken a few points from Lou Reed's 'Goodnight Ladies'. The last two tracks. The Life and Times.. and We sell hope are both just dish water dull.

As Harry has stated maybe Guns Fever lends itself to more to a live performance. The album version just lacks so much and could have been a highlight.

A different producer may have been what this album needed. It just sound more like a Terry Hall album and lacks the organic feel of the rest of the Specials catalogue.

PostPosted:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am
Harry
Too Hot

All the new material is up on You Tube so I had a listen. This is what I thought...
'Breaking Point' is a rip off of Tom Waits (they've obviously listened to tracks from the album Raindogs like Singapore). It's not as good as Tom Waits but it's ok. It would not be out of place on Deception (the 2nd Colourfield album)
'We Sell Hope' reminds me of Phil Collins (particularly the Genesis song That's All) - musically it sounds like UB40 covering Dear Prudence by The Beatles.
The best bits of the record are probably Horace's bass lines and Tim's trombone. I thought the new version of Lunatics was very good in places.
'Life and Times' was disappointing. Listen to 'You'll See Glimpses' by Ian Dury and then listen to Terry's efforts. His way with words seems to have diminished a bit.
'Black Skin Blue Eyes Boys' sounds great live.
'Embarrassed By You ' is short and sweet. A nice Fun Boy Three type track.
'Blam Blam' is fine but would have been better with Nev. Again, I think it will sound better live. I thought the best bonus track was the cover of 'All The Time In The World' (live at the Troxy) - I thought this was quite moving.
I recon Encore is not as good as Specials, More Specials, or In The Studio, or Virgins & Philistines . It feels more like the third Fun Boy 3 album. I think 'Encore' is as good as 'Wonderful' an album that Madness made in 1999 but not quite as good as the F.B.3's 'Waiting'. I'd give it 3 stars as it definitely has it's moments. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:49 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

I have to agree with Kenny and Sugerman. A different paced album, but all the songs grow on you with each listen, and very honest, uncompromising lyrics. It gets a drunken 10 out of 10 from me too. My only criticism would be that it has led to po faced declarations that Prince Buster's 10 Commandments is misogynistic. Is it not just a damn funny song?
PostPosted:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:44 pm
marigold
Too Hot

These retorts would not even exist if Prince Buster HAD NOT recorded his song.... wasn't it about sex/love//chicks/guys/the dynamics of being in the game?

-as a female who doesn't hate women : ) I thought it was a very funny tongue in cheek song, but then again I am a grown up not an angry young thing.....

https://simplicable.com/new/presentism

..... and Ten Commandments of Man (whose 50-year-old list of instructions for any woman who might be interested in Buster is very much of its time:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/sep/09/prince-buster-five-great-tracks

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/10-love-commandments
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:56 pm
marigold
Too Hot

BEST part of my day the new scale of "A Drunken 10 Out Of Ten" Cool Thanks Sugarman and HarryJ!

My favourite drinking song- I am jealous - no hangover no great nights last night- had to work Crying or Very sad
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

The Specials - The 100 klub Set List Smile

Vote For Me (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Do Nothing (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Stereotype (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Man At C&A (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Black Skin Blue Eyed Boy (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Gangsters (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Ten Commandments (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Rat Race (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Embarrassed By You (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Breaking Point (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
A Message To You (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Blam Blam Fever (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Nightclub (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Monkey Man (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Ghost Town (6 Music Session, 1 Feb 2019)
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:47 am
Sugarman
Too Hot

The Specials new album is something I have wanted since 2009 and now 10 years on it has finally happened, I have also wanted something new from Terry and that has also happened so I am extremely happy.

The new songs don't sound like the old songs and if they did it would be boring just to copy the old sound so bringing it forward was the best thing to do, the sound might be different but the lyrics and spirit of the original band is still very much alive and well.

Guns Fever is so far the best version of the song I have heard though I know it was also recorded by Neville and The Specials in the 1990's Smile
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:58 am
Harry
Too Hot

As you'd expect there are a lot of conversations on Facebook saying things such as "3 out of 7 ain't The Specials" etc
A lot of old Specials fans are saying it's more of a Terry Hall album than a Specials reunion.
In my opinion the music critics have been very generous to Encore (probably partly because there's not much interesting stuff being released, partly because Terry has a mental health problem etc). As Sugarman points out it's the first new thing we've had from Terry in a decade. I think every album Terry has made has had some great ideas on and all his records are worth owning. Encore is definitely as good as Vegas, Deception, Laugh etc. And we should be happy that he is well enough to make albums and do shows.
Some people are only attractive when you're wearing beer googles. It's funny how Sugarman and Harry J admit to being pissed when they say Encore sounds great. I think they could have done better and hope they will.

Lynval made this comment:
"Well what can I say I had a good time making this album I am ready too go in right now with the same group off people and do the next one we had so much fun I am very happy with this album I would not change nothing on this album. Hope you enjoy all the songs."
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:57 am