Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Encore - the new LP due in February

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guardian gave Encore an interesting review.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/31/the-specials-encore-review-a-chequered-mix

I have read a lot of people saying that it shouldn't be judged inline with Specials and More Specials. How so? If any material is released under the name 'The Specials' it is trading under a brand with a very high standard. Anything deemed sub-par rightly deserves to be put under the microscope.

A modern take on The Specials is no easy task. This album may have some brief glimmers of hope of achieving just that, but for me it is just not a great album. Or even a good one. No album carrying The Specials name should have so very few memorable tracks. For me it's Guns Fever. I genuinely doubt after this weekend I'll ever listen to 'Encore' again.

http://2-tone.info/

Last edited by Trojan on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:11 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Marigold - interesting links, thanks.

Trojan - I was going to mention the Guardian review as it could not be accused of being too cosy a review.

Harry - I have now listened to it sober and still really like it - in its own right.

Comparisons with earlier work are bound to happen - and Neville is a big loss. But what bands early work does stand up with their later work? I love the Breeders album All Nerve but is there anything on it that is close to Cannonball?

Do Subculture and Daylight stand up to Too Much Pressure or Celebrate The Bullet. Or Bounce and Public Confidential stand up to I Just Can't Stop It or Wha'ppen?

Late/ reformed Pixies versus Surfer Rosa or Doolittle.

Early Clash versus later Clash?

They have grown older and so have we - and that changes everything.

Same thing with films- they don't make them like they used to either.
PostPosted:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 pm
Sugarman
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
As you'd expect there are a lot of conversations on Facebook saying things such as "3 out of 7 ain't The Specials" etc
A lot of old Specials fans are saying it's more of a Terry Hall album than a Specials reunion.
In my opinion the music critics have been very generous to Encore (probably partly because there's not much interesting stuff being released, partly because Terry has a mental health problem etc). As Sugarman points out it's the first new thing we've had from Terry in a decade. I think every album Terry has made has had some great ideas on and all his records are worth owning. Encore is definitely as good as Vegas, Deception, Laugh etc. And we should be happy that he is well enough to make albums and do shows.
Some people are only attractive when you're wearing beer googles. It's funny how Sugarman and Harry J admit to being pissed when they say Encore sounds great. I think they could have done better and hope they will.

Lynval made this comment:
"Well what can I say I had a good time making this album I am ready too go in right now with the same group off people and do the next one we had so much fun I am very happy with this album I would not change nothing on this album. Hope you enjoy all the songs."

Hi Harry

I have just finished listening to the album again Sober and I actually think It's even better now Smile

I'm guessing people who have followed Terry's career from 1979 to today will appreciate the album more than Specials only fans but I could be wrong?

"All Dressed up and ready to Disoo" Smile
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:19 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Sugarman wrote:

I'm guessing people who have followed Terry's career from 1979 to today will appreciate the album more than Specials only fans but I could be wrong?

I think that might just be the problem. It is being viewed, and certainly feels, more like a Terry Hall album than a Specials album.

PostPosted:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 am
Harry
Too Hot

Yes, I guess for some people Terry Hall is the only member of The Specials they can name so in their eyes he is The Specials and they assume he wrote Ghost Town etc.

I'm envious of Sugarman and anyone who listens to Encore and think it's perfection
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:43 am
marigold
Too Hot

"I'm guessing people who have followed Terry's career from 1979 to today will appreciate the album more than Specials only fans but I could be wrong?

"All Dressed up and ready to Disoo" Smile"

What would a Specials Album be like without Brad, Neville, Roddy and Jerry Dammers - then it would be "Encore"

I love Terry, Horace and Lynval I wish the original lineup could still play together, I do think the leadership and creativeness of "Encore" was up for anyone to go for and they didn't. I guess I am up for any Specials collaborations as they stand on the shoulders of their bandmates whether they are present or not.

No one can take away the influence that each one gave to the other and the music they shared. I'm still upset that Jerry Dammers didn't tour with them.
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:00 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Imani
Too Hot

We Sell Hope is the best track, albeit out of the three new ones I've heard. It's very Massive Attack styled, and I like the sparse, moody feel it has.
PostPosted:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm
Harry
Too Hot

'Encore' has entered the charts at Number 2. Well done Lynval, Terry and Horace!

It was wise to release it on the first of Feb. The other new albums released this week are Busted (new entry at number 1 in charts) and Ian Brown (new entry at number 3 in charts), Claire Richards (new entry at number 5) Fredo (new entry at number 6) White Lies (new entry at number 7) Within Temptation (new entry at number eight)

I guess it's a shame Busted denied them the number one spot but getting to number 2 is still impressive. Hopefully sales/streams of Encore will overtake Busted next week.

In 1994 Terry's LP Home reached 95. In 2006 'The Very Best of The Lightning Seeds' (feat. Terry) made 33
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Terry Hall Fanpage on Facebook has posted a link to recordstore.co.uk for signed copies of the CD, for those wanting to avoid paying silly money on ebay.

A good few places have sold out of copies - I wonder will this prevent them getting to Number One.
PostPosted:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Let me just start by shocking you - I actually prefer the new 'Lunatics' to the one that the FB3 did.

Only quibble is that it seems to drag a bit tempo-wise but overall it's the closest in essence to the original band whilst being a decent modern cover.
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:03 pm
Harry
Too Hot

I think the new version of Lunatics is really great in places. Although I prefer the original as to me it packs more of a punch.
I was thinking of a while ago Jerry re-mixed some Specials tracks for Record of the Day 7 inches. Roddy wasn't happy with it but I liked what Jerry did.
If you read early interviews with Fun Boy 3 Terry says he wanted Friday Night, Saturday Morning to be just him and a piano and hated how every lyric he wrote had to be turned into a song featuring contributions from all the band members.
I don't think it will happen but it would be great if Jerry did a re-mix of the original Lunatics.
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:49 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Harry wrote:
I think the new version of Lunatics is really great in places. Although I prefer the original as to me it packs more of a punch.
I was thinking of a while ago Jerry re-mixed some Specials tracks for Record of the Day 7 inches. Roddy wasn't happy with it but I liked what Jerry did.
If you read early interviews with Fun Boy 3 Terry says he wanted Friday Night, Saturday Morning to be just him and a piano and hated how every lyric he wrote had to be turned into a song featuring contributions from all the band members.
I don't think it will happen but it would be great if Jerry did a re-mix of the original Lunatics.

Yes I remember that interview with Terry... did they ever consider doing both? That might even have prevented the split.

I can hear the words in the VERSES far better in the new one, and I think it delivers the message more effectively. The vocals have a bit more warmth and the humour in the lyrics comes over better. The original always had a novelty vibe about it for me, I think the 'haunted fairground music' overwhelms the words.

I didn't get to hear Jerry's remixes though.
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:38 pm
kennybacon
Special

Harry wrote:
'Encore' has entered the charts at Number 2. Well done Lynval, Terry and Horace!

It was wise to release it on the first of Feb. The other new albums released this week are Busted (new entry at number 1 in charts) and Ian Brown (new entry at number 3 in charts), Claire Richards (new entry at number 5) Fredo (new entry at number 6) White Lies (new entry at number 7) Within Temptation (new entry at number eight)

I guess it's a shame Busted denied them the number one spot but getting to number 2 is still impressive. Hopefully sales/streams of Encore will overtake Busted next week.

In 1994 Terry's LP Home reached 95. In 2006 'The Very Best of The Lightning Seeds' (feat. Terry) made 33

I think this would be a chart update Harry, on current sales. The official chart isn't realised until Friday evening, the entry position will be confirmed then. I think The Specials will drop from the current no2 position as the high position is likely to be due to pre orders and sales during the week possibly wont match other artists.
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm
kennybacon
Special

HarryJ185 wrote:
Terry Hall Fanpage on Facebook has posted a link to recordstore.co.uk for signed copies of the CD, for those wanting to avoid paying silly money on ebay.

A good few places have sold out of copies - I wonder will this prevent them getting to Number One.

Cheers for that Harry, got one ordered.
I did see them being offered on ebay for ridiculous amounts and wondered were they were getting them from Very Happy
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Kenny - no problem. I think the ones on eBay are from people who went to the Rough Trade signing, just to make a few quid. The "Record Store Day" effect, at work.

Harry - it would be brilliant if Jerry released something this year. Whether it was a remix or something new. It is incredibly hard to find anything he has been involved in since In The Studio. I have only managed to find 11 releases he has had some level of involvement in:

Robert Wyatt - Winds of Change
Untouchables - Wild Child
Absolute Beginners soundtrack - Riot City
Diane Brown and Barrie K Sharpe - Sun Worshippers (Do That Funky Thing)
Rebirth Of Cool compilation - World Mutation
Visionistics - Mysterious Ways
Asian Dub Foundation - Black White
Akasha remixes - Attack of the Invisible Robots from Planet US and Attack Dub
Monsterism Night compilation - Solitary Tower
Monsterism Island compilation - Lonely Library
Spatial AKA Orchestra - Ghost Planet
Quote:
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:43 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

HarryJ185 wrote:
Kenny - no problem. I think the ones on eBay are from people who went to the Rough Trade signing, just to make a few quid. The "Record Store Day" effect, at work.

Harry - it would be brilliant if Jerry released something this year. Whether it was a remix or something new. It is incredibly hard to find anything he has been involved in since In The Studio. I have only managed to find 11 releases he has had some level of involvement in:

Robert Wyatt - Winds of Change
Untouchables - Wild Child
Absolute Beginners soundtrack - Riot City
Diane Brown and Barrie K Sharpe - Sun Worshippers (Do That Funky Thing)
Rebirth Of Cool compilation - World Mutation
Visionistics - Mysterious Ways
Asian Dub Foundation - Black White
Akasha remixes - Attack of the Invisible Robots from Planet US and Attack Dub
Monsterism Night compilation - Solitary Tower
Monsterism Island compilation - Lonely Library
Spatial AKA Orchestra - Ghost Planet
Quote:

Harry, he also played on a Madness b-side All I Knew it memory serves. Also he contributes to the The Madness album. He also produced an Amazulu song, possibly Cairo or Moonlight Romance but that may have been before In The Studio.

But indeed it would be great if he did something for the 40th anniversary.

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:17 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Thanks for that ,Jim. I had forgotten all about the B Side to Yesterdays Men and The Madness LP. I also left out the Starvation single.

I had not realised Jerry had produced anything for Amazulu. According to discogs, Moonlight Romance was produced by Jerry and Dick Cuthell. Dick also gets a credit for Brass.
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 pm
Harry
Too Hot

He also arranged and produced the Starvation single
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLbq4UPoYVI
i think there's a "Freedom Beat" video feat. footage from his A.A.A. concert he organised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-LO9xpI_-0
Record Store Day is 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-S373RsPI

He also worked with roots manuva and produced a single by Rico.
He worked with Amy Winehouse for Mandela live show
There's Ghost Planet / Nuclear War and the stuff he did on Jools Holland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgkEM88Jyk
Samson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfu23xILMjc
Queen of Minstrels Ft Cornell Campbell and Simon King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHO5ymJcx4I

and lots of other interesting stuff
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:54 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

HarryJ185 wrote:
Thanks for that ,Jim. I had forgotten all about the B Side to Yesterdays Men and The Madness LP. I also left out the Starvation single.

I had not realised Jerry had produced anything for Amazulu. According to discogs, Moonlight Romance was produced by Jerry and Dick Cuthell. Dick also gets a credit for Brass.

Jerry Dammers also produced The Untouchables version of I Spy for The FBI.

PostPosted:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 am
Harry
Too Hot

He also got Johny Clark to join forces with Arthur Brown at Glastonbury...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3WoDeMkuPg

There are also 4 clips on his website...
http://www.jerrydammers.com/music.html
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 am