Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The new album, Jerry and Terry

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
sweetdudejim
Stereotype

Post subject: The new album, Jerry and Terry Reply with quote

So I'll be honest, I've wanted new Jerry Dammers music for a while. Still do. Even if it was just like a digital single of "First Victim of War."

But even though we are not getting that, my ears are a little perked up by the fact that Terry, Lynval and Horace are releasing a new Specials album. To me, the Specials oeuvre consists of the first album, then of course More Specials and In The Studio, along with every single from "Gangsters" to "Nelson Mandela '88." I just can't bring myself to recognize Guilty 'Til Proved Innocent as a true Specials album despite having four original members (and original material) on it, and of course then I can't even consider Today's Specials, Skinhead Girl and Conquering Ruler anything more than some side things, very very far from the main three albums in my mind.

But this album, maybe it's the presence of Terry, but it adds a bit of heft to the credibility of the album to me. Of course I would prefer Jerry be there, and musically, I wouldn't be surprised that of all the living members, his and Terry's tastes are probably the most in line. Yet for whatever reason, they can't or won't work together.

Lastly, I wrote something on the band's Facebook about how I wish Jerry was on the record but that I was happy that Terry, Horace and Lynval were still being creative or something and a lady replied saying something like "Terry is ill" and "being abused by Lynval and Horace." Is there anything to this or is she talking out of her behind? I know Terry has had his issues with depression, but is anything wrong?
PostPosted:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:19 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, the announcement ends a lot of the speculation and wishful thinking that's been going on for so long, as to whether Jerry would be on board or not. That would have been great but it isn't happening, and I'm prepared to at least give the new record a listen. Maybe we'll even finally hear some of Jerry's new music next year as well.

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:35 am
Imani
Too Hot

I'd agree that Jerry and Terry's tastes do run on similar lines. There was a documentary on BBC Radio 2 about ten years ago, where Terry said Jerry's a genius but didn't like to delegate, so that's something to consider as to why they've not worked together since 1981.

http://www.facebook.com/imanipiano
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am
Harry
Too Hot

SweetdudeJim said: "I wrote something on the band's Facebook about how I wish Jerry was on the record but that I was happy that Terry, Horace and Lynval were still being creative or something and a lady replied saying something like "Terry is ill" and "being abused by Lynval and Horace."

Well Jim, 'Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum' is a great pop track but the original Fun Boy 3 version sounded a bit like a demo. I am looking forward to hear what Horace & Co bring to the mix. I think they could have a hit on their hands. I see this album as being more like a Fun Boy 2 album with some guests but I'd rather have that than nothing!
The other part of your question about Terry is a bit tricky.
Jerry had wanted the Specials to reform and come back with new material. Sadly there was resentment towards Jerry from several ex members for various reasons. Then - When, after years and years of saying The Specials should never ever reform, Terry had a sudden U-Turn and some weird stuff happened. Terry lied in the press that all the members were reuniting for a tour. Then when it was announced that Jerry, Dick and Rico weren't involved there were more lies about Jerry giving the reunion his blessing (which he didn't) - Jerry said it was more of a "take over" than a reunion which is true but then again Horace saying "on this tour there are 5 original members on stage and 5 out of 6 ain't bad" was also true. Around this time we learned a bit about Terry's health problems and it made Jerry's situation even more complicated - if he has a go at Terry (knowing that Terry has been close to suicide and that this tour is about making him feel better) he could potentially cause all sort of trouble and be seen as the bad guy. Terry has a journalist friend who he always talks to when he has a new album out - they do interviews that remind me of Hello magazine. I'm sure more will emerge about how he handles his problems. But anyway the short answer is... it seems incredibly unfair and inaccurate to label either Lynval or Horace as being "abusers." Terry has said in interviews that becoming friends with Lynval and Horace (after a gap of 15 years) was a healing process for him.
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:45 am