Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Leave E.U. or Remain in the E.U. How would you vote?

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Leave E.U. or Remain in the E.U. How would you vote? Reply with quote

There's now a chance that Labour will back a second referendum. Let's have a Specials Survey....

If you were asked to vote tomorrow would you vote to REMAIN in the E.U. or to LEAVE the E.U. ?

I'd vote: REMAIN
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:20 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe was the downfall of Thatcher, Major and Cameron, who foolishly thought Nigel Farage was a serious threat (his seven attempts to gain a seat in Westminster should have said it all). And soon Theresa May will be out on her arse over it.

Neither Leave or Remain camps mentioned the Irish border in their respective campaigns which beggars belief. I mean it's not like there is no history there?

If people think leaving the EU will cause problems for Britain it's nothing to the complete shit storm anything even resembling a physical border on the island of Ireland will cause. Having lived through it once I have no desire to condemn future generations to violence on this island.

Oh and by the way, I'd Vote Remain.

http://2-tone.info/

Last edited by Trojan on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 pm
kennybacon
Special

Remain for me
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:46 am
chemode
Too Hot

Leave.

I've had a gutful of this fannying about. We voted leave. We had a democratic vote.

The sooner this farce is over the sooner we can start re-building.
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:07 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Trojan
Too Hot

chemode wrote:
Leave.

I've had a gutful of this fannying about. We voted leave. We had a democratic vote.

Re building what exactly? The Empire?

The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world. It accomplished this by being a member of the EU.

I'll agree with you that the whole process is a farce, but that is only because it is such a device issue. Even the Leave side can't agree what exactly it means.

PostPosted:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 am
tank
Gangster
Gangster

I would vote for Remain, I'm Irish so I would have a biased view regarding the border with the North of Ireland and I have no desire to return to the troubles.
I have been following it (like the majority of people here) and read about it every day, out of curiosity people on here who did vote for leave (as was your right) what were your reasons for doing so?
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 am
chemode
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
chemode wrote:
Leave.

Re building what exactly? The Empire?

The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world. It accomplished this by being a member of the EU.

I'll agree with you that the whole process is a farce, but that is only because it is such a device issue. Even the Leave side can't agree what exactly it means.

I'm an optimist - I'm hoping we can rebuild our industry, our exports and increase the job market. I'm hoping we can end homelessness, get rid of food banks and stop kids going to school hungry. I'm hoping we can get farmers earning a decent wage that stops them selling off land for houses that the poorer in society can't afford. I'm hoping that my kids are able to enter a job market that is fair and doesn't require zero hour contracts.

I'm hoping we leave and that we can accomplish these ideals.
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Harry
Too Hot

That really is very optimistic indeed Chemode.
Winston Churchill (who I think help set up the E.U) believed that:
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

Anyway...
So far the results of The Specials Fans Referendum is Remain: 4, Leave: 1
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 am
Trojan
Too Hot

chemode wrote:

I'm an optimist - I'm hoping we can rebuild our industry, our exports and increase the job market. I'm hoping we can end homelessness, get rid of food banks and stop kids going to school hungry. I'm hoping we can get farmers earning a decent wage that stops them selling off land for houses that the poorer in society can't afford. I'm hoping that my kids are able to enter a job market that is fair and doesn't require zero hour contracts.

I'm hoping we leave and that we can accomplish these ideals.

I too admire your optimism, but surely getting shot of the Tory government would achieve those aims?

And on your last point. Two EU laws which were introduced:

•The Working Time Directive: Giving workers the right to a minimum holiday entitlement each year and limiting the working week to 48 hours;

John Major opted the UK out of the above. Labour reinstated it.

•The Temporary Agency Workers Directive: Seeking to give equal rights to agency employees and permanent employees carrying out the same job within a business;

I'm not saying that the EU is some sort of progressive force. Far from it, but sometimes you are better inside the tent pissing out......

PostPosted:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:42 am
Fester
Too Hot

Hope this article will help some of my UK friends get some perspective on the Irish position.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/02/how-britain-s-dark-history-ireland-haunts-brexit?fbclid=IwAR1ZdrLEXzesTpWVzXPE1Ao4q20IQz4AWqIXHBharFKK273JR7fKl5AbNl4

PostPosted:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:25 pm
tank
Gangster
Gangster

Great article Fester, fair play for posting..... a harrowing line in it reads....“Judgment of God,” he continued, “sent the calamity to teach the Irish a lesson, that calamity must not be too much mitigated… The real evil with which we have to contend is not the physical evil of the Famine, but the moral evil of the selfish, perverse and turbulent character of the [Irish] people.”
Fucking shocking.....
I've spent a fair amount of time in the UK and I found it unreal in conversations with people what they learnt in schools regarding the history of the UK and Ireland.
PostPosted:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am