Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Neeson: I walked streets hoping to kill a black person

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Neeson: I walked streets hoping to kill a black person Reply with quote

Actor Liam Neeson shocked people with comments he made whilst promoting a film about a man who seeks revenge.
I've come across two very different responses to his comments so far.
One) Gary Younge says:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/05/liam-neeson-interview-black-people-actor-racism?fbclid=IwAR05ZIdfy4JwxNNFTzHk7lLdR9nFazxU1qASWfrG6uJE0VKSqNmMTZOgzNM
Two) John Barnes says:
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/liam-neeson-deserves-a-medal-liverpool-icon-john-barnes-says-hordes-jumping-on-bandwagon-over-black-man-comments-37784623.html?fbclid=IwAR3uG_-d6T8yR46rzC7H95KB8iz1OQ-cPJ8LK3mD-FUMo1TT3rr-x6yW118
Whose response (Gary's or John's) is closer to your own feelings?
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

He says regrets the revenge aspects of his action. He has stated that with his upbringing in Northern Ireland makes him fully aware of futility of revenge killings. However, not unless I have missed something he doesn't address the racist aspect of his action. Asking a rape victim what colour the attacker was does seem like a rather odd thing to do.

He is another Hollywood twat who thinks his fame and wealth can excuse just about anything.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:44 pm
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Having immediate thoughts about seeking vengeance - when someone close to you goes through something so traumatic - is one thing. But asking the colour of their skin?

The Guardian poses a very good question "Would Neeson have gone out looking for a “white bastard” to kill? Or would he just have killed himself?"

I wonder if he had been living in Northern Ireland at the time, would he have asked their religion and then headed out with his cosh?

Indefensible.
PostPosted:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
Imani
Too Hot

He's either brave or foolish to say what he's said, depending upon your bias. John Barnes' take on it pretty much falls into line with my own views.

The one thing I will also say is we live in an increasingly oversensitive social climate where people are easily demonised for saying infinitely less than this guy. has This is magnified if the person in question happens to be famous. (Though I didn't even know who he was, if I'm honest.) This climate doesn't help.

He wasn't the first person to have such views - or acted on them, and he won't be the last. There are blacks who have expressed the same views towards whites, Indians towards Pakistanis, Jews towards Muslims, and every other variation of the theme you can think of.

And none of that is right, before anyone concludes I'm 'taking sides'. But perhaps we need to look at the wider social dynamics - the programming by mass media, education, politics etc - that influences people to think in these ways. Just going after the latest high profile figure who made an inappropriate comment, as the mainstream media is wont to do, is not going to do anything except create more polarity than harmony.
PostPosted:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:36 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
He's either brave or foolish to say what he's said, depending upon your bias. John Barnes' take on it pretty much falls into line with my own views.

The one thing I will also say is we live in an increasingly oversensitive social climate where people are easily demonised for saying infinitely less than this guy. has This is magnified if the person in question happens to be famous. (Though I didn't even know who he was, if I'm honest.) This climate doesn't help.

He wasn't the first person to have such views - or acted on them, and he won't be the last. There are blacks who have expressed the same views towards whites, Indians towards Pakistanis, Jews towards Muslims, and every other variation of the theme you can think of.

And none of that is right, before anyone concludes I'm 'taking sides'. But perhaps we need to look at the wider social dynamics - the programming by mass media, education, politics etc - that influences people to think in these ways. Just going after the latest high profile figure who made an inappropriate comment, as the mainstream media is wont to do, is not going to do anything except create more polarity than harmony.

He stated he wanted to kill the first black man or 'black bastard' to quote him directly. This slightly more than an inappropriate comment.

His back tracking on the subject has just dug the whole deeper. He has claimed he would have reacted exactly the same had the attacker been of any other race or nationality including Irish. So on his next visit home he would have stabbed the first male with an Irish accent who spoke to him?

I think he is more of a fool than as racist, but given the words he used I think he will have a hard time trying to continue as an actor in Hollywood. Then again look at Mel Gibbson.

http://2-tone.info/

Last edited by Trojan on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am
Imani
Too Hot

Yes, some people do express those views. My thing is this - where does it come from? Individuals are products of many societal factors and dynamics that shape them, as I pointed out. It's there that the focus needs to be placed AS WELL. Because they aren't as unique nor as uncommon as the reaction to this story is suggesting. Which is why I just don't get the widespread 'shock horror' response, and refuse to take the same line.

In my own experience, purely castigating and demonising people who hold such views not only doesn't get rid of the mentality, it just makes it more entrenched. If anyone truly believes that flagging up the latest high profile person to make a racist outburst is going to rid and deal with the root causes of racism, then be prepared to wait forever.

But that's all I'll say here. I've said quite enough.
PostPosted:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
Harry
Too Hot

Maybe the last word should be from this chap? It's very impressive how he managed to make several important points about an emotive issue and stick a couple of gags in there that are actually funny...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBy0FLAAwKQ

(Trevor Noah is a South African television and radio host, political commentator, and comedian. He is known for hosting The Daily Show, an American satirical news program on Comedy Central.)
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 pm