http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:20 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
HarryJ185
Gangster
Gangster

Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a hell of a lot of work has been put into this revamp. I check into your site on a very regular basis. Cannot think of any other site as in depth as this. Love what you have done. Keep on keeping on.
PostPosted:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:21 am
wally
Ska Face
Ska Face

Cheers Harry, glad you like it!
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:23 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

It's my 2 Tone Bible; the best site around. The updated version looks great; I'm glad it follows much the same format which has always been easy to search through
PostPosted:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:57 am
marigold
Too Hot

It's excellent! thank you
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:02 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Fester
Too Hot

Fantastic resource, a labour of love, fair play lads.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:01 pm
Imani
Too Hot

The Manchester bootleg is great from the point of view of hearing them in the days going up and down the motorway in a Transit van. So many groups say that this is their favourite time. I've heard it complete with banter and whilst the gaps are probably too long, you get the sense that they're really enjoying themselves.

On the Germany bootleg, It's Up To You is my favourite. Brad shines on that one. Probably my favourite Specials track live from that period.

I bought the Hurrahs one with Brad and Lynval on the front in 1983, from a flea market. Youtube is nice and convenient but it doesn't match the buzz of traveling to try and nab a bootleg before anyone else. Record Store Day doesn't come close.

When I see the Man at C&A clip from Nov 1980 on BBC2, good as it sounds, it looks like a certain vibe is missing in the performance. That onstage collective chemistry isn't as strong.
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
The Manchester bootleg is great from the point of view of hearing them in the days going up and down the motorway in a Transit van. So many groups say that this is their favourite time. I've heard it complete with banter and whilst the gaps are probably too long, you get the sense that they're really enjoying themselves.

On the Germany bootleg, It's Up To You is my favourite. Brad shines on that one. Probably my favourite Specials track live from that period.

I bought the Hurrahs one with Brad and Lynval on the front in 1983, from a flea market. Youtube is nice and convenient but it doesn't match the buzz of traveling to try and nab a bootleg before anyone else. Record Store Day doesn't come close.

When I see the Man at C&A clip from Nov 1980 on BBC2, good as it sounds, it looks like a certain vibe is missing in the performance. That onstage collective chemistry isn't as strong.

The bootleg with Brad and Lynval on the front cover is from Boston Paradise.

There is a recording of part of the gig at Hurrah's New York available on the Having a Party bootleg.

PostPosted:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:27 pm
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

Imani wrote:

Isn't that Manchester recording in fact the Aston University gig? I got the bootleg tape in the mid 80s and it features a little bit more between songs alright. It also has a repeat of Gangsters for the encore.

I have to disagree with you on that Man at C&A performance; I think it's one of their best and promised so much more for the future. It felt like they were taking things onto another level at that point; they sounded and looked great. The track is played live so it's obvious they're individually paying close attention to how they're playing; maybe that's why you think it's lacking chemistry
PostPosted:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

mangeire wrote:

Isn't that Manchester recording in fact the Aston University gig? I got the bootleg tape in the mid 80s and it features a little bit more between songs alright. It also has a repeat of Gangsters for the encore.

I have my suspicions about that too. There have been two releases said to be the Aston University gig. I have no means of playing my Live In Manchester LP to compare them.

Of course there is always the possibility that Manchester is the correct venue and the other two have got it wrong. It's a great recording regardless of where its was recorded at. Guns of Navarone on the keyboards certainly sounds different.

PostPosted:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:50 pm