Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Bob Andy of Young, Gifted and Black fame r.i.p.

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Bob Andy of Young, Gifted and Black fame r.i.p. Reply with quote

(from the Guardian)
Bob Andy, the reggae vocalist who performed a hit version of Young, Gifted and Black as part of the duo Bob and Marcia, has died aged 75 after a short illness.
His death was confirmed by his collaborator on that song, Marcia Griffiths, who told the Jamaica Observer he died at 8am on Friday 27 March.
Bob & Marcia reached No 5 in the UK in 1970 with Young, Gifted and Black, an uptempo recording of the Nina Simone original. They also reached No 11 in 1971 with Pied Piper, which spent 13 weeks in the charts.
Andy was born Keith Anderson in Kingston, Jamaica, and began his career in the groups the Binders and the Paragons before going solo in the mid-1960s. Recording in the legendary Studio One under producer Coxsone Dodd, he cut songs that would become reggae standards, such as I’ve Got to Go Back Home and Too Experienced.
He also wrote songs that would be recorded by reggae stars including Gregory Isaacs, Ken Boothe and Delroy Wilson, along with solo numbers for Griffiths, although their partnership ended when she joined the I Threes, Bob Marley’s group of backing vocalists.
Young, Gifted and Black was just one of his socially conscious songs. Others, such as Fire Burning and Check It Out, castigated capitalism and the ruling classes. But he suffered from health issues, including migraines, and put music to one side for a number of years from the late 1970s onwards, broadening into acting. He also became an A&R for Tuff Gong records, the label founded by Marley.
As his health improved, Andy returned to music in the 1990s. In 2006, he was awarded Order of Distinction by the Jamaican government for his services to music.
Reggae DJ David Rodigan was among those paying tribute, writing on Twitter: “We all loved you Bob Andy and we know how much you loved us, your legions of fans all over the world. At least you are at peace now; you’ve left us a truly remarkable repertoire of songs which we will all treasure for ever.”
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Young, Gifted & Black brings back so much. It reminds me of being a kid at the start of the 70s, and the poignancy of the lyrics and music.

Another great one by him is 'Life'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6ccmBn4_c
PostPosted:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 am
kennybacon
Special

Rest in peace
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:50 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Yet another of the orignals gone.

I always preferred the Jamaican version of 'Young, Gifted and Black' which didn't have the cheesy string section overdub which was inflicted on so many tracks in order to make them more palatable for the UK market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7KqyZiJPnY

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:06 pm
Imani
Too Hot

I'm into both but I'd actually go for the strings version if I was to play it. Though funnily enough, even as a child when I heard that song, it had more of a Radio 2 vibe about it than Radio 1, in the days when the R2 was still very 'easy listening' based, with Mantovani being played now and again. It also came over differently to Tighten Up Volume 2.

I still love the single version and the orchestra doesn't detract from the song, nor the nostalgia attached to it. Bob Andy certainly gave it the thumbs-up.

Fine as the songs are in their original form, I think adding those 'toppings' did add a nice extra element to a few of those tunes. Let Your Yeah Be Yeah is another one.
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:22 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
I'm into both but I'd actually go for the strings version if I was to play it. Though funnily enough, even as a child when I heard that song, it had more of a Radio 2 vibe about it than Radio 1, in the days when the R2 was still very 'easy listening' based, with Mantovani being played now and again. It also came over differently to Tighten Up Volume 2.

I still love the single version and the orchestra doesn't detract from the song, nor the nostalgia attached to it. Bob Andy certainly gave it the thumbs-up.

Fine as the songs are in their original form, I think adding those 'toppings' did add a nice extra element to a few of those tunes. Let Your Yeah Be Yeah is another one.

I just prefer the sound the original artist had in mind rather the sound the record executive manipulated purely for the sake of sales figures. Bob Marley's and the Wailers had entire albums doctored with the aim of making the appeal to 'rock' audience.

The other way of looking at it is if these tweaks made the songs appeal to more listeners and as a result they discovered the wonderful world of reggae then that can't be a bad thing.

PostPosted:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:49 am
Imani
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Imani wrote:

I just prefer the sound the original artist had in mind rather the sound the record executive manipulated purely for the sake of sales figures. Bob Marley's and the Wailers had entire albums doctored with the aim of making the appeal to 'rock' audience.

The other way of looking at it is if these tweaks made the songs appeal to more listeners and as a result they discovered the wonderful world of reggae then that can't be a bad thing.

Another thing is that the music in its original form had already become popular with skinheads. Tighten Up Vol. 2 sold over a quarter of a million, apparently. Then all those ska tunes that breached the top 40 without airplay.

But the reggae + strings formula did introduce many to the music. It can be overdone though.

I agree with regard to the Marley albums. Catch A Fire contains great songs but that aspect of tailoring it to the rock market makes them less enjoyable than other Island albums he did. Interestingly, Exodus and the later albums weren't given that sort of production. On the whole, Marley's music never sounds cynically watered down and compromised.

Last edited by Imani on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:25 am
Imani
Too Hot

Too Experienced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDv4J1Dnhg
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Imani wrote:
Too Experienced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDv4J1Dnhg

Perfect the way it is. No need for silly string sections Crying or Very sad Wink

PostPosted:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:18 am
Imani
Too Hot

The Tide Is High by The Paragons is one of the few Jamaican records that had the strings sound but was done in Jamaica rather than an orchestra overdubbing in London. I think it's just one violinist.

That's an exception to the rule, it sounds organically part of the song, doesn't overload it. And I'm not aware that it was done to influence airplay overseas. Would still sound great without, goes without saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQXqkiKXiHc
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:59 am