Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information The Selecter / (Who likes) facing situations (2019)

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Music   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Sugarman
Too Hot

Post subject: The Selecter / (Who likes) facing situations (2019) Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntMUQw-VtMQ
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Très bon. Merci Monsieur Sucre-homme.
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:34 am
mangeire
Gangster
Gangster

Terrible predictable sax riffs on it, the sort you can throw into any 'ska' song. Doesn't compare to the original line-up playing the song live
PostPosted:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 pm
done donald
Ska Face
Ska Face

Ronan, I know what you mean about the sax. I also thought 'The Whisper' was very 'poppy' when they played it in Belfast.

However, I think Neil Pyzer is very influential in the sound of the band. The first 3 albums this variation released got better each time. Made In Britain was decent, String Theory was better and Subculture was excellent, in my opinion, their 2nd best album behind Celebrate The Bullet. Daylight didn't quite hit the heights of Subculture, but was better than the previous 2 albums and better than anything that Selecter Mk11 released.

I'll take 'poppy' or 'ska by numbers' sax in certain tracks if they keep releasing quality albums, and I definitely welcome any songs off Celebrate The Bullet as it is so overlooked when they play live. I'd love a 40th Anniversary play through of the whole album!

Check out Neil Pyzer's ska tracks on YouTube, there are about 8 of them and they're well worth a listen.

Jim
It’s A Wonderful Life. It’s a wonderful film, but the more I watch it the more I want Potter to succeed. Not least when that lot up the road come out into the street every New Year’s Eve, drunk on Ptolemy’s hock, hugging each other and going “Hee-haw, hee-haw”…
PostPosted:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:25 am
Imani
Too Hot

It's the bassline that really changes the entire feel of the song. The version on 'Bullet' has less notes, more 'root note' based, which gives it a nice tension.

Always liked Facing Situations. Not an easy one to play either, it does the rounds of chord changes.

That album has aged well. They retained elements of their sound they'd established, but moved things on musically so it wasn't formulaic ska or too 'petrolly', to use an Alan Partridge reference.

While I wouldn't single out one band member on Bullet - everyone plays their part very well (including Norman Watt-Roy) - I think a lot of credit must go to 'H' Bembridge, especially when you consider how much the drums shape the sound of a track. His drumming style is unique, not pure reggae/ska nor pure rock, just a unique hybrid which makes those songs sound so different.

Cool Blue Lady is just spot on. I wonder if they'd planned to release it as a single back then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrp4qkzOXUk
PostPosted:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:49 am
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster

Celebrate the Bullet is easily The Selecters best album. Shame it is always so overlooked. Especially live. The band dont play much from it usually.
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 am
Imani
Too Hot

bluearmy78 wrote:
Celebrate the Bullet is easily The Selecters best album. Shame it is always so overlooked. Especially live. The band dont play much from it usually.

Even though they experienced band members leaving and were going in a new direction, it still sounds very together and original. Maybe because a few members of the group had been in bands together prior to 2 Tone was a help.
PostPosted:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:12 am
chemode
Too Hot

I like the selector and its a testament to Pauline and Gaps et al that they have continued performing and recording pretty decent albums after all this time.

However my pet hate is this; why does she put on this false Jamaican accent when everyone knows she grew up in Romford Essex? I grew up in Romford around the same time and trust me, I sound like an Essex Boy, not a yardie. Cool
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:33 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Harry
Too Hot

chemode wrote:
I like the selector and its a testament to Pauline and Gaps et al that they have continued performing and recording pretty decent albums after all this time.

However my pet hate is this; why does she put on this false Jamaican accent when everyone knows she grew up in Romford Essex? I grew up in Romford around the same time and trust me, I sound like an Essex Boy, not a yardie. Cool

I think this is a fair point.
I guess all singers put on a performance and what they do is "an act" but the trick is to make you not question them. There's a joke actors say, "Good acting is all about sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made"

My Dad was at school with Ian Dury. My Dad's mother wanted people to think she was well to do when she wasn't. If she answered the phone she would do so as though addressing the Queen. And I think at school everyone was taught to speak well and suppress any accent. Dury had a working class Dad but a middle class Mum - members of the Blockheads have said in interviews that he was like two different people. One minute he'd be in a kebab shop going "Oi Oi" the next moment he'd have his reading glasses on and would be discussing the review of a David Hare play or Cezanne exhibition as though he were Melvyn Bragg giving a lecture on Radio 4. There was also a story Dury said in an interview about meeting Tom Waits. They were sharing a cab home or something. Dury kept thinking Tom Waits would drop the act and stop speaking in a gravelly voice and making jokes but he never did.
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:53 pm
Trojan
Too Hot

Ozzy Osbourne was once asked why he spoke with an American accent when he was on stage. He replied it was because 'no one can understand a fucking word of my Brumie accent'.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:27 pm
Imani
Too Hot

Trojan wrote:
Ozzy Osbourne was once asked why he spoke with an American accent when he was on stage. He replied it was because 'no one can understand a fucking word of my Brumie accent'.

...even when he's in Birmingham.
PostPosted:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 pm
Harry
Too Hot

In 1983 Woody Allen made a mockumentary called Zelig about a " nondescript enigma, called Leonard Zelig, who, apparently out of his desire to fit in and be liked, unwittingly takes on the characteristics of strong personalities around him."
Musicians who've worked with both Mick Jagger and Elvis Costello claim they have Zelig tendencies and they've witnessed their singer transform into suddenly being an Ozzy, a New Yorker, a Geordie, a Scouser or cockney geezer.
I guess it's natural to want to be liked and to fit in
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm