Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information 'Why Are We Still In The Streets?' by Nicholas Payton (2014)

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » General Chat  Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Imani
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the first 40 minutes or so, over the next few days I'll most likely randomly comment as I go on.

He's speaking about the USA rather than UK of course but it's definitely a more nuanced outlook, and there needs to be more. "Having the conversation is dangerous" - very true. You can be 'cancelled'. He's quite right when he talks about the modern-day 'religion of anti-racism', where, as with religious devotees, their "faith" doesn't allow them to step back and see any flaws in the belief system. Also, hence the flagellant protesters, which is exactly the kind of thing that I spoke about on the Murray thread in my encounter with someone who apologised for being white. Crazy.

At 29.00... the way that a CNN journalist twisted someone's concern about no policing being an example of 'a statement of privilege'.

Now, I don't agree with everything Harris says - but this is very different from the mentality that in 2020 seeks to shut down Youtube channels for simply offering an alternative view. A society where no-one can question the status quo isn't "progressive". And to lump in anyone who offers a nuanced view with the likes of Tommy Robinson and his ilk will continue to make the conversation dangerous. In fact it effectively prevents important topics from being aired in many instances.

I'll be interested to see what his conclusions are. Keeping this in context with the opening post, I'm still in line with Payton's view - and Henrik Clarke's.
PostPosted:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:20 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
wally
Ska Face
Ska Face

We Need To Be Braver - article by Andrew Doyle

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/08/05/we-need-to-be-braver/
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:22 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Imani
Too Hot

wally wrote:

Still listening to and digesting the show, so I'll have to come to this another time.
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:21 am
Imani
Too Hot

I've played it up to 1hr 20 min and pretty much have a grasp of what Harris is saying.

The fact that people had been unfairly ordered to stay indoors for the past few months should also be factored in when looking at those protests and their hysteria, although the seeds were there long before 2020.

I don't like the title of the following vid - I would say something along the lines of 'The problem with MODERN anti racism'. Harris mentions McWhorter in his talk. The first 5 mins or so says it all. Yes there ARE racist cops but police brutality is the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT2rlJe9cuU

Ultimately black people have to sort things out for themselves, just as other ethnic groups have when they've been in difficulty. Having awareness of history would be a start. Going out protesting, rioting and white guilt isn't going to do anything. It's been done before, it's a WASTE OF ENERGY. I disagree with anyone who thinks it's to be praised.

I'm not saying politics can't play some role, but I've no belief in some political policy to wave a magic wand to solve all the problems. Especially the current woke rubbish which is just another form of social control.
PostPosted:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:23 am
wally
Ska Face
Ska Face

Interesting, I'd heard of McWhortor before, but had never seen him speak. Always refreshing to hear someone who's willing to change their position when presented with fresh and compelling evidence.
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Imani
Too Hot

wally wrote:

"Our new culture of conformity is spreading, and its impact is being felt in all walks of life. Recently, an actor friend of mine was contacted by her agency because she had not posted anything on social media in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. She was told that she must do so immediately if she wanted casting directors to consider her for any future roles. I am hearing stories like this every day, but invariably they are communicated privately. There is a strong general feeling that to publicly object to the prevailing dogma is to jeopardise one’s livelihood and reputation."

Agreed. It's a person's choice whether or not they want to openly show support.
I don't care whether it's right or left, it's disgusting that it should determine career progress.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:14 am
Imani
Too Hot

Whether I support an organisation or not is based upon thoroughly studying what it's about. My issue with blm/antifa is based upon their mindset and their actions. Just as I differ with 'the left' on this, I've even less time for thick alt-right wing types who disparage the organisation purely on colour lines.
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:54 am