Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Ghost Town live in Margate

Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Ghost Town live in Margate Reply with quote

I like this trombone solo by Tim Smart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYeztf91I0M
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:20 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

This reviewer wasn't impressed http://www.realgonerocks.com/2021/08/real-gone-goes-out-the-specials-dreamland-margate-kent-28-8-2021/
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:41 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2560
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
This reviewer wasn't impressed http://www.realgonerocks.com/2021/08/real-gone-goes-out-the-specials-dreamland-margate-kent-28-8-2021/


Tragic in every way, Terry Hall proving once and for all that back in the day he was a great front man, but as a person he comes across as a complete wanker.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:57 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry's comment about how fans should have made an effort and not bought clothes from Primark was ill judged.
I read on Facebook that sadly Lynval can no longer play guitar as there is a problem with his hand. Horace writes a tour diary and the other nights have gone better. I haven't seen any other reviews yet
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:17 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
bluearmy78
Gangster
Gangster


Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 277
Location: England

Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
Terry's comment about how fans should have made an effort and not bought clothes from Primark was ill judged.
I read on Facebook that sadly Lynval can no longer play guitar as there is a problem with his hand. Horace writes a tour diary and the other nights have gone better. I haven't seen any other reviews yet
Looking at the way Terry dresses himself nowadays,he would do well to go to Primark. For the most part he looks like he has been dragged through a hedge backwards. Time to call it a day too. It hasnt been The Specials for a very long time.
_________________
The past is our knowledge, the present our mistake and the future we always leave too late.
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:57 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2560
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

bluearmy78 wrote:
Harry wrote:
Terry's comment about how fans should have made an effort and not bought clothes from Primark was ill judged.
I read on Facebook that sadly Lynval can no longer play guitar as there is a problem with his hand. Horace writes a tour diary and the other nights have gone better. I haven't seen any other reviews yet
Looking at the way Terry dresses himself nowadays,he would do well to go to Primark. For the most part he looks like he has been dragged through a hedge backwards. Time to call it a day too. It hasnt been The Specials for a very long time.


Well said. Attacks on those on a low income would sound vile coming from any stage , but one contain those playing under the banners of 'The Specials' is simply unimaginable . And to think they are about to release an album of protest songs.?

They have just released a video featuring clips of the Jarrow Marchers and striking miners. It just shows how false and contrived the bollocks they are peddling that they are somehow still socially aware.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:27 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brighton show sounds like it was much better. This reviewer really liked it
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17583663.specials-still-great-40-years-brighton-dome-review/
Ex Dexy Pete Williams is the band's support act for the rest of the tour. He is a talented chap and definitely one of the good guys.
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:27 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
JonnyR
Rudie
Rudie


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 8

Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
The Brighton show sounds like it was much better. This reviewer really liked it
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17583663.specials-still-great-40-years-brighton-dome-review/
Ex Dexy Pete Williams is the band's support act for the rest of the tour. He is a talented chap and definitely one of the good guys.


That Brighton review is from the Encore 2019 Tour, not the show last week.

Some extended "highlights" from Bournemouth last week here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7upbOHXK7Y

All very going through the motions it is too. I enjoyed the first couple of tours post reunion - I'll never forget that first show in Newcastle - but haven't bothered since Neville left, and this won't be tempting me back.

Anyone know the name of the new female backing vocalist and who is filling in for Lynval on guitar?
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitarist was introduced as Stanley. The young singer is Hannah Hu, Who used to be in Primal Scream
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:44 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry & Co did better in Bournemouth...

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/19560136.review-specials-bic-bournemouth/
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:23 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

Another positive review from a fan in Playmouth
https://musomuso.com/reviews/the-specials-turned-plymouth-from-a-ghost-town-to-a-nite-klub-read-our-live-review

"The show really came to life when they started on the classics, ‘A Message to you Rudy’ saw the ‘skankers’ come out of the shadows and give it all they had, ‘Nite Klub’ sounded as bright and vibrant as it did back in the day, Horace’s bass line driving everyone in the right direction. ‘Do the Dog’ followed this and shortly afterwards, ‘Too Much Too Young’ ignited the arena into a riot of noise from the audience as the whole place took off. ‘Gangsters’ kicked in and sounded as dark and edgy as ever, quite a sinister sounding track but again, with a driving rhythm section, it sounded tighter than ever played live. ‘Monkey Man’ closed the first section and the band left the stage to rapturous applause to refresh themselves ready for the encore."
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:55 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Trojan
Too Hot


Joined: 25 Aug 2002
Posts: 2560
Location: Area 3

Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
Another positive review from a fan in Playmouth
https://musomuso.com/reviews/the-specials-turned-plymouth-from-a-ghost-town-to-a-nite-klub-read-our-live-review

"The show really came to life when they started on the classics, ‘A Message to you Rudy’ saw the ‘skankers’ come out of the shadows and give it all they had, ‘Nite Klub’ sounded as bright and vibrant as it did back in the day, Horace’s bass line driving everyone in the right direction. ‘Do the Dog’ followed this and shortly afterwards, ‘Too Much Too Young’ ignited the arena into a riot of noise from the audience as the whole place took off. ‘Gangsters’ kicked in and sounded as dark and edgy as ever, quite a sinister sounding track but again, with a driving rhythm section, it sounded tighter than ever played live. ‘Monkey Man’ closed the first section and the band left the stage to rapturous applause to refresh themselves ready for the encore."


In other words only the songs recorded by the original line up are of any worth.
_________________
Richard Eddington is innocent.

http://2-tone.info/
PostPosted:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:07 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Harry
Too Hot


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 1904
Location: London

Post subject: Reply with quote

This reviewer from Coventry had a really good time although he also says it's basically songs from the first album that people want to hear...
"halfway through the set as soon as the opening harmonica of A Message to you, Rudy sent the crowd into a spin. It was quickly followed by Nite Klub, Do the Dog, Too Much Too Young, Gangsters and Monkey Man, for a frantic 20 minute period where much of the crowd couldn't help but move their feet. Indeed, I defy anyone to listen to Monkey Man without nodding their head and chanting the infectious chorus....
...These tracks, amongst others, were interspersed with newer ones Vote for Me and Breaking Point, which for many attending the gig solely for the hits, became an opportunity to grab a pint or visit the loo - in some ways understandable as queues for both before the gig started were huge."
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/specials-thousands-fans-hail-bands-21564306
_________________
I got one art O'level it did nothing for me
PostPosted:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:10 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT
Post new topic Reply to topic
TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  

Jump to:  
Key
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Community powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: Theme & Graphics by Daz