Visit CDNOW for The Specials Discography The Specials' On-line Community

Information Vote for a Specials reunion

TheSpecials2.com Forum Index » The Specials  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic

who's up for a Specials reunion
vote for the Specials to reunite
83%
 83%  [ 45 ]
vote for the Specials to reunite
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 54

AuthorMessage

Post subject: The Specials R.I.P. Reply with quote

I'm with you on this one Gangster. The Specials WERE a brilliant live group, yes I was fortunate to see them live, the first time in a packed, hot & sweaty Top Rank club, with unbeliavable energy that I'll never forget, but I think the key word here is WERE, christ I'd love to revisit my youth, but you can't turn the clocks back, I remember getting the Pressure Drop CD, 5 years or so ago and being disappointed with the live versions of Do Nothing & Hey Little Rich Girl.
If The Specials did do a reunion gig, I'm not too sure I'd want to go, because I wouldn't want to tarnish my brill memories - nothing to do with credability.
PostPosted:
Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:33 pm
Top of Page
Trojan
Too Hot

Post subject: Reply with quote

You have hit the nail right on the head there Tighten Up. I too was lucky enough to have witness 2 Tone as it happened. And I will NEVER forget those gigs or the atmosphere generated around the whole 2 Tone movement. But it’s all in the past and is best left as it was. Any sorry attempt to regenerate those days would fall flat on its face and ruin a perfect moment in music forever. Besides one of the things that give 2 Tone a focus is gone: Thatchers Britain!!! (thank God) Razz
PostPosted:
Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:01 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private message
toasty
Too Hot

That would be really cool. They should do it.
PostPosted:
Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:34 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
jon
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: specials reunion Reply with quote

trogan i do agree with u its all in the past and i dont think a full renion will ever happen,but dont tell me that if u seen a poster for a specials reunion gig u wouldnt b happy,all ur thoughts of leave it in the past would go out the window and u would b first to get a ticket....so if it is going to happen please let it b soon because my knees ar almost knackerd as it is ......jon
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:40 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Trojan
Too Hot

Jon, count yourself lucky its just your knees that are knackered. My eyesight is not what it used to be and my back goes out more often than I do.

I can honestly say that no I wouldn't go and see a reformed Specials. I had the opportunity to go and see the Sex Pistols when they did the Filthy Lucre Tour a few years back but I give it a miss for exactly the same reason.

Nostalgia just not what it used to be as they say. Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:
Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:18 am
jon
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: specials reunion Reply with quote

trogan......u were lucky to see them first time round,as a 15year old rudie living in dublin at the start of the two tone era i never did,the only times i seen them was in the 90s with diffrent line ups both times plus the specalbeat once,so i respect were your coming from,i suppose if i had the pleasure of seen the orignal line up i would feel the same....WELL SORT OF....sorry iv just changed my mind i would love to see them....
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:07 am
Trojan
Too Hot

Jon,

Yep the old days were the best. The first time I saw The Specials was in Dublin and they were supported by a little know combo by the name of U2. I shit you not.
PostPosted:
Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:19 am
Hazza
Gangster
Gangster

How did i miss this!
My opinion is it should be left well alone. Much prefer to see the band members doing other stuff. The Specials were the biggest influence musically on my life, which pushed me into forming my band. I'm not convinced a reunion even with all original members could create the pure buzz, energy and excitement of the first time round and would hate a half hearted attempt at a reunion to tarnish the bands memory.
Also as someone else has said i don't think JD & TH would ever be into it again. The likes of Roddy and Neville obviously love the music with a passion as you can see from their new projects but i think for Terry it was just a moment in time and unfortunately i can't see him screaming out Do The Dog from the heart anymore.

The Specials - Legends?.....Too right mate!

Hazza

Ps. All this said i KNOW i'd be first in the ticket queue Very Happy

http://roughkutz.wix.com/roughkutz

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Rough-Kutz/77529019821

Last edited by Hazza on Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:05 pm
KAM

Post subject: SPECIALS REUNION Reply with quote

A SPEACIALS REUNION WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE SURELY, WE CAN ONLY HOPE THAT ONE DAY WE MAY GET TO LIVE THAT DREAM, PREFERABLY WITH SUPPORT FROM DESMOND DECKER AND THE ACES, YOU NEVER KNOW YOUR LUCK. Very Happy
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:02 pm
Top of Page
MIKE CORNWELL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Speacials and Desmond Decker Reply with quote

Who are they?????????? Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:
Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:18 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website

Post subject: a specials get 2gether Reply with quote

NO ONE loves the specials music more than me , i dont know why some people would b against a specials get 2gether 2day . it wouldnt tarnish what they achieved 20 odd years ago . they gave us some absolutly superb music but at the end of the day its only music . if they were all speaking 2 each other , why not do a few shows and enjoy the songs again if they dont enjoy being 2gether dont bother . just thanx 2 terry , jerry , horace , lynval , brad , neville and roddy for what u gave us . nice one!!! Very Happy
PostPosted:
Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:36 pm
Top of Page
toasty
Too Hot

I agree with craig. If they did get back togather and did suck, then it would just make you appriciate the old stuff more. I don´t think that Neville´s new stuff is as good as the origional stuff (no offence man), but it doen´t make me like the origionals less.

www.facebook.com/rudeboyradio
www.facebook.com/riotradio913
PostPosted:
Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:20 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
skatalite

Trojan wrote:
A Clash reunion would be exactly the same. Joe Strummer has been offered shit loads of money in the past for such a venture but each time to his credit he has turned it down. (Didn’t stop them using a Clash track on a Levis ad though!) and SCROSCED his reasons were that word again “credibility”.

The Levi ad was basically Mick Jones' doing, I have the single and the rest of it is Big Audio Dynamite songs, so you can sort of tell.

I think it would depend on the circumstances of a reunion. If they were doing it just for the money, no, but if it was a Spirit of 2-Tone sort of thing, then I'd be all for it. I wasn't alive during the 2-Tone period, sadly. Sad
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:01 pm
Top of Page
Trojan
Too Hot

"The Spirit of 2 Tone" is long gone. 2 Tone was a symptom of its time. At the time punks was all but gone although many still admired its attitude and Thatchers Britain was just about to be born. As many of you admit you weren't about in these times, so believe me when I say they weren't pleasant days. So just like in '77 two years later in '79 the time was right for another youth movement and 2 Tone was that movement. People seem to forget that by mid 1980 (that's just a year after it all began) 2 Tone was no longer the movement it was which just sums it up perfectly. It was a brief moment in time and then it was gone. Simple as that. And is best left as that.
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:42 pm
skatalite

I suppose you're right. I know the Sex Pistols reunion left much to be desired.
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:58 pm
Top of Page

Post subject: credability! Reply with quote

i dont understand whats credability . the specials were 7 blokes who made music , the clash were 4 blokes who made music the jam were 3 blokes who made music . the only reason none have got back 2gether is because they dont get on . the sex pistols get 2gether was good . why not? if they felt like a sing along and earn some money good on em . the specials , the jam , the clash etc were all superb bands the late seventies was an exciting time 4 live music , but getting back 2gether 4 a sing along doesnt damage ur credability . its ONLY MUSIC! and bloody good music at that. or am i wrong Very Happy
PostPosted:
Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:08 pm
Top of Page
BessieTheSkankingCow

Post subject: They should reunite Reply with quote

It would be absolutly Fantastic if the specials reunited, it would give me, a person who wasnt even born when the specials were around a chance to see (in my opinion) the greatest band of all time live. There is a whole new generation of specials fans who diddnt get the chance to see them live
PostPosted:
Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:12 pm
Top of Page
2-Tone

I would be up for a Specials re-union. I am old enough to have been there the first time but unfortunately never saw them live. I was supposed to have gone to their benefit for the unemployed gig at the Rainbow Theatre, Finsbury Park, London on May 1 1981 when I was 15, but unfortunately couldn't make it and thought I would leave it until they were next in town. As we on here all know they fragmented just a few short months after this gig and I am left with some merchandise a friend picked up for me at the gig. I've been kicking myself ever since. Myself and many of my friends have seen the reformed Madness several times and had a brilliant time. And we have all said that if The Specials ever reformed we would be there to support them also and I am sure we would have a brilliant time as well.
I do find it quite laughable that some members on here keep saying that 'no way should The Specials ever reform' as it was 'a moment in time'.
Why then are they members of a website devoted to a band that split 22 years ago?
I know there is other stuff on this site and I am not knocking any of it but we are really all here to see the first news splashed over this website 'The Specials reform for one off gig' or 'mini-tour'
I am sure that these dampeners would be right at the front of the queue with there fistful of dosh buying tickets saying 'isn't it great that they've reformed'
2-tone was a movement, but it was ABOUT THE MUSIC, If that music was rubbish, 2-tone would never have been.
It is the 25th anniversary of 2-Tone next year and the dampies may be proved wrong.
PostPosted:
Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:52 am
Top of Page
Skinheadmoonstomp
Ska Face
Ska Face

Post subject: Re: Vote for a Specials reunion Reply with quote

MIKE CORNWELL wrote:
Im sure there are plenty of us out there that would love to see The Specials reunite .What are anyones thoughts on this ??? Very Happy

That would be grand. why stop at the sky? it's not the limit. besides, times have changed and so have people. The specials need to record a New record and hit the road. I personally would love to see them.

SMS
Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:22 pm
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Trojan
Too Hot

2 Tone, the reason that I am on 'website devoted to a band that split 22 years ago' is for the same reason that I still play records of a band that split 22 years ago. And that reason is that they WERE a great band and they DID make great music. This seems to the only place that I hear these pipe dreams about the band reforming and yes it is the 25th anniversary but I can't see it setting the world on fire. I think we will at most be treated to yet another compilation album and that's if we are lucky (or unlucky as the case may be as there are so many compilations already in existence). Shit all happened at the 10th, 15th and 20th anniversary so I doubt if this one be any different.

I had a chance to see the re-formed Sex Pistols a few years back and thankfully I gave it a miss because as has been said on this board before it left a lot to be desired.
PostPosted:
Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:26 pm